Raising ducks instead of chickens for eggs

Thanks for all the insight! I would probably just buy enough duck hens to supply my family and maybe a few to spare. I live near a very wealthy area so maybe duck meat will sell good for me, but I don't imagine too many duck eggs will sell. I could be wrong; I sell goat milk and that is very big in my area so maybe duck eggs would be a favorite too.

I read a few posts on BYC about the taste of duck. I have only had it once and it was overcooked by my grandma and it was wild duck shot by my dad. Tasted like liver. I will need to really learn the fine art of cooking it so it's not like that.

We added ducks to the flock almost a year ago. Our Khaki Campbells are prolific layers, but do require more care. Their pool is a particular problem, and they're a lot messier. They are no louder than the chickens, but they do party at night sometimes.

Now for the pluses; Around here, duck eggs are as scarce as hens teeth and we're getting $7.50/dozen as compared to $2.75 for chicken, and we usually sell out. The eggs are great for baking, but in my opinion a bit strong flavored to eat alone, but that's just my opinion. Many of our customers like to eat them.

I'd recommend a chicken and duck flock. Ours not only provide us with eggs, but are self sufficient, they pay their way.

I have buff orpington ducks. And I really like them. They lay 6-7 eggs every week (started this years egglaying 3 weeks ago).

Other great things: They are done laying before 6 am, and ready to go out (my chickens take forever). They never eat their eggs. I have never seen a soft shelled egg. They dont peck others.

If you have a small flock. Using a kiddypool every weekend will be easy. They dont need to swim every day. But they need wather deep enoug to put their head under.

Buff ducks are larger than khakis and welsh harlequins. But the egg is about the same. The buffs will perhaps keep more of a break in the winter.

Very few people have ever tasted duck eggs here in Denmark. But I im getting a lot to try, and some are bying. Good luck.

If you want both egg and meat production, try the pekin. They are excellent layers and have lots of meat.

Back
Top Bottom