Raising ducks to be friendly- how to?

testrechupacabre

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
near Reading
I just got 10 ducklings
thumbsup.gif
I have only had them for a day. When ever i hold them they freak out (which isnt strange cuz I have only had them a day) But how can I be sure that they will be friendly when they get older. Should I just keep handling them?

welcome-byc.gif

The way I ended up with very sweet, social runner ducks was to spend loads of time with them, give them space when they needed it, bribe them with peas, move slowly and carefully, and adjust to their cues.

The first couple of weeks some would sit on my hands in the small brooder. When we went to a brooder large enough for me to sit in, at three weeks, they would walk around while I cleaned up, then sit next to or on top of me and we would visit.

At just over three weeks, they decided I was an axe murderer and would literally stampede in a panic when I came in to clean the brooder.

After some good advice from Duckyfromoz and some 'net research, I let them out into the hallway while I cleaned. It took weeks of patience and many handfuls of treats, but by the time they were a couple of months old we were friends again, and have remained so.

It was a long haul with setbacks, but I have the sweetest ducks ever!

My ducklings were all over me when I brought them home. They would all sleep on my chest and poop all over me. I gave them an hour of play time a day with me. When they got older, like 4-6 weeks old, they were not as friendly. Now att full growth, they think I'm a racoon or something. They do not love me anymore.....you cannot raise a duck to be your friend...they only want food and water and a safe place to bunk and forget the rest. That's just their nature....

Thats very helpful. I will try giving them peas
When I got my chickens I tried handling them but they always freaked out then when They were a month old I heard chickens loved raisins. Now whenever they see me they run to me. The raisins are kinda big for the ducklings. I didnt even think of peas

THANKS

Muscovies are very popular for their puppy dog-like personalities. I have founf that they are MUCH easier to tame than other breeds. I raised Muscovy ducklings & other ducklings this year and spent just as much time with all of them.. the Muscovies all ended up total babies that just loved being around people and would follow you everywhere while the others would hang back and run from you if you walked toward them.

Um...it might be a bit harder when you have 10 ducklings...as they would tend to stick with each other. Try to hand feed them as much as possible, play with them and do nothing to frighten them.

Mine would follow me everywhere until after 3 weeks old and then they just turned...

Treats, treats and more treats.

all the best and have fun.

I have my first 'pet' duck. It's a single muscovy duckling that I hatched in the incubator. He imprinted on ME, so now I'm a proud muscovy momma duck, and my baby is named Ronery. *sigh*. I originally got muscovies JUST for meat-breeding. I now have 28 of them, with 13 more hatched yesterday... And a pet one.
smile.png

I think it would be VERY hard to tame 10 of them at once. One and MAYBE two if they bonded to you right after hatching. Otherwise, they will stay scared of you. And, laying breeds are more high strung than meat types, I've found - muscovies are more calm than my Welsh Harlequins, for example.

Back
Top Bottom