Raising Emus?

Chickologist

Songster
Jul 19, 2019
ʎʞɔnʇuǝꓘ
I watch a lot of White House on the Hill on youtube, and I especially like to watch their videos about their emus, Bamboo, Peekaboo, and Cashew.
AND.... I am hoping to get a farm in the next 1-2 years... so... what about raising emus if I get a farm?
I looked up things about raising emus, but there was barely anything useful. I have some questions about emus you can hopefully answer.

How much space do you need to keep 2 emus?
What do you feed emus?
Do they need an actual enclosed building, or just a shelter for night?
How much money do emus cost a month?
Where do you get emus?
and finally, can you get an emu at a day old so you don't have to hatch for 50 days? (I'm a kinda impatient person lol)

The more space, the better. The bare minimum for a breeding pair is considered to be a pen that's 100 feet long by 20 feet wide. I personally think that's a bit small. I have about two acres fenced in for my trio, and I'd love to expand that for them at some point.

What do you feed emus?

Specialty ratite feed is the best, if you can find it. If you can't find it, many breeders use a mixture of chicken pellets and rabbit pellets.

They need to be able to get out of the elements. Mine have a small barn, fully enclosed except for the entrance. Plus, you do want to have a building you could enclose them in when necessary.

Depends on what you're able to find for feed, etc. My emu feed costs $20 for a 50 pound bag. My three eat about a bag a week - some of that is waste, too, since they knock it onto the ground and then the chickens eat it.

Where do you get emus?

Private breeders. My three came from eggs I bought from breeders in Maryland and Texas.

and finally, can you get an emu at a day old so you don't have to hatch for 50 days? (I'm a kinda impatient person lol)

Yes. You have to find a breeder and get on their list for chicks, and be prepared to drive to pick up the chicks when they hatch, but yes, it's definitely possible.

The more space, the better. The bare minimum for a breeding pair is considered to be a pen that's 100 feet long by 20 feet wide. I personally think that's a bit small. I have about two acres fenced in for my trio, and I'd love to expand that for them at some point.

What do you feed emus?

Specialty ratite feed is the best, if you can find it. If you can't find it, many breeders use a mixture of chicken pellets and rabbit pellets.

They need to be able to get out of the elements. Mine have a small barn, fully enclosed except for the entrance. Plus, you do want to have a building you could enclose them in when necessary.

Depends on what you're able to find for feed, etc. My emu feed costs $20 for a 50 pound bag. My three eat about a bag a week - some of that is waste, too, since they knock it onto the ground and then the chickens eat it.

Where do you get emus?

Private breeders. My three came from eggs I bought from breeders in Maryland and Texas.

Yes. You have to find a breeder and get on their list for chicks, and be prepared to drive to pick up the chicks when they hatch, but yes, it's definitely possible.
Thank you!

I watch a lot of White House on the Hill on youtube, and I especially like to watch their videos about their emus, Bamboo, Peekaboo, and Cashew.
AND.... I am hoping to get a farm in the next 1-2 years... so... what about raising emus if I get a farm?
I looked up things about raising emus, but there was barely anything useful. I have some questions about emus you can hopefully answer.

What do you feed emus?
Where do you get emus?
Don't take advice from white house on the hill, especially with the emus.
I know this is an old post, but white house on the hill SUCKS :sick They keep 2 females and one male, in emus the female is the more dominant gender. It's like keeping 2 roosters and one hen.
Females will fight to the death, in one video one of the girls got injured, she had an injury on her chest and they brushed it off as a coyote or dog attack... which it wasn't, it was from the other female.

Back
Top Bottom