Raising feeder insects

Quote:
Yes, my family is about to commit me!!!!
hide.gif
They think I've lost my mind.

Quote:
You can probably feed freely after the colony is 8 months old. Around the time the 1st or 2nd generation of babies have reached adulthood. Remember, feed adult males ONLY and feed female nymphs sparingly. One adult male can fertilise 10+ females, any extras hog the food. One dead female can equal 200+ dead future nymphs. Sexing them is relatively easy, and it can be done at 2 cms.

You're looking at the last segment of the abdomen, the males will have a smaller segment whereas the females will be much wider. This applies for dubias of almost any age.

Sexingdubiaroaches.jpg

Quote:
As adults, yes, females and males are pretty obvious. But it is also important to save female nymphs in a colony under 500 as they are the future mothers. Nymphs on the otherhand look pretty much identical besides that last segment. (Though sub-adult males will have large wing stubs)

I am very interested in self-sustaining venues. What are some good "bugs" I can raise with kitchen scraps? O heard something about some particular fly? Or something or another?

We started raising mealworms about 6 months ago with the help of a very dear friend on here It takes a little while getting the colonys started but once they get going it is really very easy.I tried the roaches but our chickens like the mealworms better.I have a hard enough time with my wife about haveing the worms inside but she would kick me and the roaches out..LOL so I will stick with the worms..
Good luck!!
JIM&LINDY

Quote:
The fly you raise for the maggots, I've seen the special composter you use for around $200, but have never done it so I don't know if you can easily raise them w/o that composter. If you live where it gets cold you won't get very many if any at all through the cold months.

Just my 2 cents. Feed companies spend small fortunes formulating balanced diets for animals. It might be fun to raise bugs to supplement feed, but 2 things will happen, no matter how much you are into it. First, you will find that your chickens health will not improve, no matter how much you read and breed. Second, the infatuation with formulating supplements in any form, but especially ones that require time and work, will soon fade, leaving you with a lot of wasted money and time, pluss a huge population of pests that need to be disposed of. Don`t ask me how I know this. You are far better off, as are your fowl, to feed strictly a quality commercial feed with only an occasional treat. You and your fowl will be better off for it..........Pop

Quote:
You can sell dubia 15$-20$ for a hundred mixed on ebay, and people snap those deals up quickly. I'm not allowed to sell them in Florida but in other places you can make a fortune off a colony like mine.
wink.png

But for people like me who would like to feed treats such as veggies, fruit, leftovers, yogurt, or don't feel their birds are getting enough protein like free ranging on poor range, etc. - the overall protein intake is decreased causing lower egg production or dull feathers. It's always nice (and FUN!) to offer a live high protein treat, to make up for the lower protein ones. Though of course commercial feed is still crucial since it provides almost everything else. Also, a high protein feed will eliminate the need for these feeders, but I find it fun and if you ever want reptiles you will have an unlimited supply of food for 'em. (Plus wild bird food, fishing, etc.)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom