Raising feeder insects

Quote:
I hope someone who knows answers this!!! I'm very curious about this too. Someone posted earlier that they feed out the adult males every week ... or did I read that somewhere else?

Oh I wish my DH would let me do this. I wonder if there is a way to limit their numbers. If the temperature is too low, will they die or stop breeding or stop something?

Quote:
You should talk the the person in PREDATOR & PEST section. They claim to have hampster size roachs in their coop in FL. Now that's a meal!
ep.gif

Quote:
You should talk the the person in PREDATOR & PEST section. They claim to have hampster size roachs in their coop in FL. Now that's a meal!
ep.gif

My girls would think they had died and gone to chickie heaven if they found hamster size roaches in their coop
droolin.gif

Quote:
I hope someone who knows answers this!!! I'm very curious about this too. Someone posted earlier that they feed out the adult males every week ... or did I read that somewhere else?

Oh I wish my DH would let me do this. I wonder if there is a way to limit their numbers. If the temperature is too low, will they die or stop breeding or stop something?

Lower temps slow the metabolism and slows growth and breeding, but to cold will kill them (below 70 I believe is too cold) but the low 70's would slow them down. But why would you want that? or it make a diff to your husband? just curious.

My husband wasn't happy about it, but didn't forbid it, he is used to the idea now. Maybe you could work out a comprimise, in a part of the house he doesn't regularly go in (sewing room or laundry room etc... and he never has to do anything w/ them)

not sure if this has been brought up in this thread already, but what about raising worms for em?
not sure as to the protein percentage of worms
but seems to me that if you just had a five gallon bucket or maybe a big tote(not sure on a good size really)
and had worms in there, just threw what food scraps and newspaper you ahd into the bucketm the worms would have their food and could be used to feed chickens, but would also give you compost:)

Quote:
As in earthworms? I think some do. I've tried a few times to raise worms for the garden before I got chickens, but never had any success. The other thing w/ raising them for your chickens is they get gapeworm from earthworms. I do not know if raising them would decrease the chance of transmitting the parasite or not.

There are several different kinds of insects raised by people for their chickens, some more labor intensive then others. Throughout the thread several have been mentioned.

Has anyone fed their roaches cooked chicken egg? Any reason anyone know of that it shouldn't be done?

Nevermind just googled it and it is okay. Found several people who do it.

Last edited:
Quote:

Lower temps slow the metabolism and slows growth and breeding, but to cold will kill them (below 70 I believe is too cold) but the low 70's would slow them down. But why would you want that? or it make a diff to your husband? just curious.

My husband wasn't happy about it, but didn't forbid it, he is used to the idea now. Maybe you could work out a comprimise, in a part of the house he doesn't regularly go in (sewing room or laundry room etc... and he never has to do anything w/ them)

I will only have 5 birds this winter. Right now I have 2 laying hens with 1 adult roo. I have 3 1-month-olds and by fall will be getting rid of the roo. They can't possibly eat enough too keep the colony at a steady amount. I don't want hundreds and hundred with such a small need.

Wish you were my neighbor!!! I'd buy a weekly supply
bun.gif

Quote:
This reply is a bit late, but I have the answer to your question. Generally, you can keep as much roaches you can in a single enclosure until you see signs of cannibilism/stress. Sings of this are - eaten/clipped antennae, chewed wings, eating the recently molted, eaten/dropped egg cases, and aggressiveness. (Males will fight if you have too many) Also the smell can indicate overcrowding. As far as feeding goes, I ONLY feed off adult males and male nymphs. The females are too valuable to feed off, one female equals 200 babies. One male can fertilize 10 females in it's lifetime, so start with the ratio 1:10 and feed off the males (I do 2 dozen a week or so) until you have roughly one male per 10 females. You can do 1:5 though. I don't like too many males since they simply compete with food, and sometimes eat newborn babies.

Back
Top Bottom