Raising Friendly Ducklings... HELP!!?!

mybackyardgals

In the Brooder
Sep 10, 2016
Gainesville, GA
7174423C-1F0C-4054-A716-7FA323EE6143.jpeg

I purchased my first three ducklings a week ago. Since then I’ve learned SO much about raising ducks on this site but I’m still unsure about how to create friendly ducklings.
I sit with them around 1-2 hours a day, just talking to them, cleaning the area or going through my email.. just trying to make them used to me.
I’ve read to walk slowly, squat down and not make any loud or sudden movements, but they still look at me like I’m going to eat them!
Will this ever change or is this just part of the ‘duck’ world’?

It all depends on the Ducks, I spent hours and hours out of every day with my ducklings, they even ate out of my hands, but if I didn't have food they act like I'm going to kill them. Just keep doing what you're doing, maybe you'll do better than I did :lol: I'm better at taming chickens

image.jpeg
So fun! I got my ducklings on Thursday..so far they all run to the other side of the brooder when I approach! They will slowly make their way back over, but if I try to pet any, they all scatter again. I guess it will take time, although I'm interested in learning any tips from experts out here! What kind of duckings do you have? Mine are khaki Campbells. :jumpy

View attachment 1300656 So fun! I got my ducklings on Thursday..so far they all run to the other side of the brooder when I approach! They will slowly make their way back over, but if I try to pet any, they all scatter again. I guess it will take time, although I'm interested in learning any tips from experts out here! What kind of duckings do you have? Mine are khaki Campbells. :jumpy
They are precious!!
And yes that’s exactly what mine do... RUN!!
Although thinking back my chicks did the same thing. Now if they are running it’s to me! ❤️
I am able to pick one up now and she/he‍♀️ will sit in my hands just looking at me. But within a min or two the other two start chirping like crazy realizing there budy is gone!!
I’m not sure what my lil ones are yet, but good luck, your lil ones are beautiful!!

Hand feeding and feeding treats they love and talking and calling them seems to be the key.But,I have found it very rare for a flock of ducks to be overly friendly (Such as petting and picking up).One duck is easier to make a perfect pet the two or more.When I get ducks I’m usually getting them for bugs and to watch them as they play,we keep our distance usually just because they seem to be more difficult to tame.Some of the most friendliest seem to be scovies and pekins escpecially.I tried so hard with my anconas but they never came around.

Back
Top Bottom