Raising Geese 101

Ok so its been a while since I was last on here and I just wanted to tell my friends that yesterday i got a surprise from my geese. As many know I am new at raising geese and have only had my geese since this spring, I ask alot of ppl about when they would be mature and when they would start there first season .Well they all said it wouldnt be until there first spring, um I am thinking they were not to right because i have seen my gander get very mean and protective over my goose and then I fond two eggs in there house yesterday
ep.gif
. to my friends i am wondering is this normal and should i keep a watch for more eggs during the winter??????????
idunno.gif

Refresh my memory are they Africans? if so then yes they and Chinese lay the most eggs for geese and ours started laying in late Sept before we sold them. I just took them when laid (geese average about every other day for laying) and used them in the kitchen.

If it's their first time laying then sometimes their biological clock can be off a bit. Has it been warm and lots of daylight in your area?

Thank you everyone for the help, I do love my geese and they may never see my table but I plan on eating the ofspring.. never had gose before,didn't like the duck was to tough will the gose be the same?

On the last page people were talking about grazing. There's very little natural fodder where I live so last year I made a grass bed for my geese. I found that the cheapest way to provide abundant nutritous grass for them was to buy a bag of unrolled horse oats and plant them. The lawn was spectacular all summer long.

Hi, new to byc. Thank you for the post, it backed up info i've been researching. Cotton patch and/ or shetland breeds seem like the best geese for my situation. We are have a
20 acre peach farm in Alabama. However they seem very difficult to find and i would like a quality stock any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
. We have a few breeders on here with both breeds you are looking for. Holderreads also carries Shetland Geese I believe but sell out quickly each year. You might try using the Other Fowl section of the Buy Sell Trade section.

Back
Top Bottom