Raising Grub Worms

kreagerm

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 11, 2012
I was tilling the soil in my garden and found about 50 of these little guys. My first thought was to just feed them to the girls but then I thought I wonder if I can raise them and use these as my starter colony. I did some searching online and found more information about the grub worm and how they turn into beetles. I do see that some people make a compost pile and raise them that way. Just wondering if anyone here can give some sound advice on this topic and what methods worked for you, before I get started.

I always give them to my chickens, they damaged my garden. after I am done with my garden for Fall, I let them out so they can help me dig up for grub worms and any other pests they can find !!

I've been digging them up for my chickens, not too sure if I want to try and raise them just yet. Although, the chickens LOVE them and I am (thankfully for my garden) actually seeing an end to the supply so it's something I might consider.

Thanks everyone. From what I've seen so far a compost pile is the way to go, but once they become beetles I'm not sure what should be done, because unlike mealworms these beetles will just fly away. Not sure how you would be able to contain such a large beetle, and would it even be worth the effort, when mealworms are pretty easy to raise and such a great source of protein for our birds.

You do realize you're talking about Japanese beetles, don't you? They'll ruin your garden and your shrubbery. Let your chickens clean them out, and then be done with them. Don't cultivate something that every gardener in America is trying to get rid of!

Your yard, left on its own, will generate a smorgasbord of insect life for your chickens. Just sit back, watch and relax. Intervention not required.

you dont want to be raising beetles! they are nasty pests that like to fly in your house, your hair and all over your windows when there lights. ! very annoying!!

I love it i was researching the same thing today hey its great free food for chickens and they LOVE IT so I'm going to try to grow them as well as the soldier grubs also I grow my own grass for chickens chicken food is WAY to expensive so anything you can do for free to feed chickens IS GREAT IN MY BOOK love it ill let you know how it turns out but I love your outlook good luck to you but deaf keep you updated on results :) :):) :)

Back
Top Bottom