Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
Hi all!
I bought some keets last year, before I bought any chicks, so there were a "test" run. I love em! My gram had inherited a few when she moved to Arkansas and they were wild, having raised them myself they are a bit tame. The keets were so jumpy I felt like I was gonna give the poor things heart attacks so I only handled them when needed. They Stay around the property for the most part but do go across the road into my neighbors field and they go into their coop at dark. ( the one female I have even has started a best in there!!) There's a part of our property that we leave unmowed and I notice that they don't get into the high grass/hay which I think all the nasty but tasty bugs would be, has anyone noticed this as well? Or are mine just silly? Also I noticed that some/one? Has wet feces where it should be dry? Any suggestions? Also I'm lookin for some more keets in northwest Indiana if anyone has any or wants to go in on an order, I don't want 25 which is the min.order I keep seeing
big_smile.png

Hi Shelly,
I raised nine keets to adulthood and they are now paired off with (ugh) their siblings. Sorry I still cant quite get used to chicken inbreeding. They are notoriously skittish and will jump at their own shadow ( and then stand and stare at it for 10 minutes) We don't have tall grass but we are in the woods tzand my kids run around and nest in the underbrush. Yours may not like the feel of the grass or the noise that it makes. Who knows with guineas. They are very particular animals and what one persons flock might like is alot of times completely different that what another persons flock likes. Still though, they are super cute birds and they grow on you. Mine always keep me entertained with their antics. They are always trying to "help" me in the yard. They run off with gloves, baling twine, scissors (once and only for a second) and generally nosy they like to watch us work in the yard. They especially like when my husband mows the yard and they can follow him to scoop up bugs. Anyway good luck with your guineas.

Quote:
I love them, we have 1 pearl, 2 white and 3 lavender. Last year we hatched about 180. They avoid what they can't see so I bet the grass worries them. To much a risk for fox etc. They challenge fox and tease them if its an open field seen it myself. The fox would jump and they flew.. gave me an excellent shot.to take that fox out for good.
My guinea have saved several of my birds, just love them.

I love them, we have 1 pearl, 2 white and 3 lavender. Last year we hatched about 180. They avoid what they can't see so I bet the grass worries them. To much a risk for fox etc. They challenge fox and tease them if its an open field seen it myself. The fox would jump and they flew.. gave me an excellent shot.to take that fox out for good.
My guinea have saved several of my birds, just love them.
hi againshelly
gladt to see someone else who isnt afraid to dfefend their flock. dont get me wrong-i hate killing animals. especially canid type that remind me of my dog....but ill be ****** if im gonnalet my fkock of feathred children be a meal....as i type this my Bailey boo is sleepin inmy lap. sheis my 7month old guinea henraised from an egg....love her to bits.

For all of you that free range guineas - I have a great solution for giving them feed in the seasons where they need supplementing. I have a game feeder and place a corn/turkey feed mix in the container. The feeder is adjutable for the quantiy to disburse and kicks it out twice a day. My guineas know that sound and come running!

Th
For all of you that free range guineas - I have a great solution for giving them feed in the seasons where they need supplementing.  I have a game feeder and place a corn/turkey feed mix in the container. The feeder is adjutable for the quantiy to disburse and kicks it out twice a day.  My guineas know that sound and come running!

That's a terrific idea :)

I have read several articles that Guineas go in the roads to get grit. Buy grit at your feed store and scatter in near their food or somewhere away from the road.

Last edited:
I have read several articles that Guineas go in the roads to get grit. Buy grit at your feed store and scatter in near their food or somewhere away from the road.

My driveway is loaded with grit, as is the grit feeder right outside their pop door. It has not deterred them from going in the road. More often than not, they are chasing each other and the road is just part of the chase....

I agree.......it just seems like guineas are attracted to roads for some reason. My driveway is over 500 feet long......and I have 20 acres of land for them to explore......but where do they head to everyday? The road. And yes, I also have plenty of grit for them to eat, so I don't think that's the reason why they're attracted to it. I lost two last year when they decided to go exploring.....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom