Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Quote:
Its a real guessing game. I do use broodies to hatch at times, but it makes you nuts worrying over it.
hugs.gif
I know exactly how you feel! My broody guinea stopped so I pulled the eggs. Out of 14 all were duds, clearly infertile.

Its a real guessing game. I do use broodies to hatch at times, but it makes you nuts worrying over it.
hugs.gif
I know exactly how you feel! My broody guinea stopped so I pulled the eggs. Out of 14 all were duds, clearly infertile.
We are up to 13 today. Tomorrow will be day four, and unless something goes horribly wrong, I will be looking for two keets under her in the morning that were pipped and zipped tonight. That would leave several more eggs and I have no idea what their status is. I had no idea it could take this long for a clutch to hatch. I just thought they'd all hatch within the same 24 hours. Glad I work from home!

Adorable video! And it looks like some may be pied in color. WTG nice hatch!
Thanks! They are royal purple. Dad has a few white feathers on the edge of his wings, but doesn't really look pied at all. The keets look just like mom and dad did when we brought them home, so maybe this is just their coloration...? There seems to be more evidence of this online this year, whereas last year I had no idea what kind of keets I had!

They are all so precious. Wish I could keep them all.

That is a common problem with a broody. She is still laying but also incubating! When they are done hatching she will leave the nest. Its an instinct most birds have and it helps protect the babies. I would keep taking keets until she abandons the nest, then candle the remaining eggs.
If I can figure out how to candle them, I will. I don't have an incubator, though, so I might have to give them to a friend. Would they be salvageable?

This morning we are up to 14 keets, plus three in the process of hatching still beneath her. Don't know how many that would leave. Ten? So hard to count with her on top of them hissing.

Quote:
Awesome news!!!! I use one of the cheap LED flashlights. Go into a dark room, or wait til night time outdoors to candle. turn the light on and use your thumb and finger to make a circle around the lens, set the big end on the egg on your light. if its a dud or clear you will know, a living egg has veining, or dark mass but you should see movement.. Moving liquid inside the egg means its rotten.. dont break it, most awful stench ever
sickbyc.gif
so not kidding! I had one burst when I picked it up..eww. Usually a hen will kick out a spoiled egg. Since she is still sitting that tells me you have viable eggs under her and you betcha she knows it. Normally once they abandon a nest, the live eggs are hatched. I still check because I have found a few live eggs from broodies that were left behind.

Awesome news!!!! I use one of the cheap LED flashlights. Go into a dark room, or wait til night time outdoors to candle. turn the light on and use your thumb and finger to make a circle around the lens, set the big end on the egg on your light. if its a dud or clear you will know, a living egg has veining, or dark mass but you should see movement.. Moving liquid inside the egg means its rotten.. dont break it, most awful stench ever
sickbyc.gif
so not kidding! I had one burst when I picked it up..eww. Usually a hen will kick out a spoiled egg. Since she is still sitting that tells me you have viable eggs under her and you betcha she knows it. Normally once they abandon a nest, the live eggs are hatched. I still check because I have found a few live eggs from broodies that were left behind.
We are up to 16 keets. She's sitting on 11 eggs still (she finally got up for water so I got a good count). Egg #12 in her clutch is a failed hatch from yesterday. Looks like she pecked it. :( I didn't try to fish it out just on the off chance it is still hatching. Looks kind of bloody, though.

What do you do with the ones you save, once they've been abandoned? Do you put them in an incubator?

Could I put them under the brooder, since I don't have an incubator? Or would that not work? Just thinking they would have to be close to ready to hatch, and it is warm under the brooder like it is under her.

Back
Top Bottom