Raising Guinea Fowl 101

I have two day old keets. At what age should I switch them to a cage where they can't fly out? I put them in the brooder without the top so the light could be closer to them. Thank you for any advice.

You should be ok for at least a few weeks or until their wings feather out a bit. It's a bit of a gradual progression and you will definitely know when it's time to move them to an enclosed home. When they first start to fly, they can't make it very far, so they will stay close by. The biggest concern is that they would not have a any access to heat/warmth outside of the brooder/heat lamp, which they need until their are fully feathered.

How long before the guinea hens are fully feathered? and how long before they can free range? (is it the same answer for both questions?) Thank you for your help! I have raised chickens, and I am wondering if the guinea hen is different....

Last edited:
They should be fully feathered around 6-8 weeks of age. As they get older, I would gradually decrease the heat in the brooder or raise the heat lamp a little each week to acclimate them. Once they are fully feathered, the can go outside and free range. It takes them awhile for Guineas to learn where their home is, so if you want them to return to a coop or pen each night, it's important to keep them penned up in that area full time for a few weeks before letting them roam around outside (I've had success with 2 or 3 weeks, but a lot of people do 6 weeks to be safe). Mine free range all day but return to a coop at night. I keep 22 percent game bird crumble available at all time, but they mostly live on bugs during the time of year that they are plentiful.

Did your Guineas start laying late this year? Mine have not layed any eggs yet and they usually have quite a few by this time most years. They have been getting in their nesting boxes and look like they might, but nothing so far. It looks like your in Indiana? I'm in Iowa, so I'm guessing our weather is similar. When did yours start laying eggs this year?

Did your Guineas start laying late this year? Mine have not layed any eggs yet and they usually have quite a few by this time most years. They have been getting in their nesting boxes and look like they might, but nothing so far. It looks like your in Indiana? I'm in Iowa, so I'm guessing our weather is similar. When did yours start laying eggs this year?
No they are pretty much on time looking back on prior years. My first egg was 2 days ago. Some of my flock are not confined so it may have been earlier.

I have been getting a solo egg since mid february, from one
particular hen. Just discovered two nests, one with 22 eggs, one with 10. I have 6 hens ranging around...they have been busy. Live in sw penna.

Back
Top Bottom