Raising Guinea Fowl 101

I had Guinea fowl before I had chickens, I rehomed them because they would not stay off the road. They brought a semi to a halt one afternoon, and I live on a busy highway. I miss them though. I was thinking, perhaps I could raise some keets with the chickens and they could free range with the chickens once they were older... do you think if they were raised with chickens, and my chickens don't go near the road, that maybe the Guinea's wouldn't either? I hate to take a chance and loose birds or worse, cause an accident! Thanks, Kim

Hi ya'll, great thread, but i have other questions of course
roll.png

We just today got 6-7 week olds, are they still keets? How long before I can let them out to play with the chickens (8) and geese (2), who are all about 6 mos old. Can I just give them the 16% chicken pellets? I don't want my geese or chickens to be mean, so we have them in a rabbit cage on the floor of the coop where e/body sleeps at night. Any other info would be great... thx jenn
lol.png

if i give a corn,wheat and millet feed mix to my guineas will they get enough protein and all that stuff.

The Three-Grain Scratch feed from my local Co-Op is cracked corn, wheat, and millet and the stated protein is only 8%. The Co-Op's Chicken Layer Pellets has a stated protein of 18%, which is what I aim for with all my feed mixes for chickens, guinea fowl, turkeys, and ducks at our farm. Bruce

[email protected] :

roll.png

We just today got 6-7 week olds, are they still keets? How long before I can let them out to play with the chickens (8) and geese (2), who are all about 6 mos old. Can I just give them the 16% chicken pellets? I don't want my geese or chickens to be mean, so we have them in a rabbit cage on the floor of the coop where e/body sleeps at night. Any other info would be great... thx jenn
lol.png

I have found with mine the chickens don't bother them now this could be because I had them in the growout in the yard and they would "play" with the chickens running back and forth the length of the fence.
So as far as your chickens go I don't think you would have a problem.​

This is a great thread but I read that guineas don't scratch liek chickens and since I didn't see this listed anywhere here I felt that I should put it here, Yes they do scratch like chickens and they can make short work of an area for a dirt bath Mine scratch for grain and bugs as well as for dirt baths.

As for the sounds and how loud they are Mine are only loud when they get spooked or at night right before roosting almost as if they are doing a roll call these are my first set of Guinea Keets yet they are all doing well.

For feed I stared mine on Game bird feed first then switched up to laying mash and pellets they have a choice because of what the chickens eat as for how much do they eat it isnt very much I would a few ounces at night if that.

Roosting mine like the high beams in the barn the higher the better so in there coop I placed some high roosts for them and now they stay pretty much in the run/coop area. this was all great info in this thread I just thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth...

[email protected] :

roll.png

lol.png

I have found with mine the chickens don't bother them now this could be because I had them in the growout in the yard and they would "play" with the chickens running back and forth the length of the fence.
So as far as your chickens go I don't think you would have a problem.​

Back
Top Bottom