raising guniea hens with peafowl?

J3172

Songster
9 Years
Feb 6, 2010
Michigan
I was thinking about getting one or two peachicks, and heard that it helps when you raise them with other birds, to help keep them calm. Last year I got two and I put them with quail and they did fine. This year I was thinking about putting Guniea's in with them. Is this a good Idea?

I know I gave a 2 month old peacock to a friend and she put them in with some baby guineas the same age.... ended up with a dead peacock and 2 dead guineas. Perhaps if they are raised up together they will be fine, but I know they are two bossy types of fowl.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Guinea keets have a reputation for being aggressive- biting toes, eyelids and beaks of other species. Often it's recommended to keep them separate for this reason. Have seen chicks with toes pecked off and faces severely injured by keets.. so no I would not mix keets with anything else.

Try to get 2 or more peachicks and they will keep each other company, or just one chicken, same age or younger than the peachicks.

We are doing it now actually, there are peachicks, keets, chicks and poults in the same brooder. But they have been together since hatch. Since the keets are much smaller than the pea's at hatch I used to worry more about the keets but they are tough little guys and do fine. If you wait 'till they are the same size the keets would be what, 3 weeks older or so. I could see them picking on the peachicks then for sure.

Steve

Will Guinea hens help prevent rats? I have had a major rat problem in my coop, I even tried moving the food into their run, out of the coop but nothing seems to work. But I only have room for two more chickens in my coop. Can I raise just two baby chicks?

I would strongly reccomend against it. Once they start growing up guineas become aggressive towards peas and can injure or kill them. Even when hatched together many of the semi-domestic birds such as peas and guineas start to fight once they hit sexual maturity or if they are confined together.

Back
Top Bottom