Raising in winter

Hamster0425

Chirping
Mar 27, 2020
Western Oregon
Hi all,

We are planning on getting chicks this winter/spring. We have a large, wooden 3×8 brooder to keep them in. However, it's located in our uninsulated and unheated shop.

Provided we keep a heat lamp or two on them, will they be ok? Lows can be as low as 20 in February, but more likely around 35. Highs would be 30-45 probably. It's western oregon so usually chilly and rainy but not guarantees.

Hi all,

We are planning on getting chicks this winter/spring. We have a large, wooden 3×8 brooder to keep them in. However, it's located in our uninsulated and unheated shop.

Provided we keep a heat lamp or two on them, will they be ok? Lows can be as low as 20 in February, but more likely around 35. Highs would be 30-45 probably. It's western oregon so usually chilly and rainy but not guarantees.
I would use a brooder plate with a towel thrown over it. How many chicks are you planning on?

Yeah. I would suggest setting everything up and putting a thermometer in the brooder to test the temperature a week or so before you get your chicks. Move it around a bit to test the hot and cold spots.That should give you some time to troubleshoot. As long as it's wind and waterproof and the right temperature, they should do fine.

The chicks don't care what the outside weather is, just the temperature where they live. So set it up, stick in a thermometer, and see if it can maintain an appropriate temperature (somewhere between 90 and 100 degrees in the warmest places under the heat lamps, and above freezing in at least half of the total brooder space.) Especially check it on the coldest-available day between now and when the chicks will come.

I'm guessing it will work best with two heat lamps at one end of the brooder (maybe in the two corners at one end). That will probably make a large enough area cozy warm, but leave a large cool area as well so they can run back and forth to find the temperatures they like best. Maybe confine them near the heat for the first two days, but after that I'd probably trust them to find their own way back. They are naturally attracted to the light, so that helps them come back if they wander.

A benefit of using two heat lamps is that if one goes out, the other should keep the chicks warm enough until you notice it and fix the problem. It's also handy to have a spare bulb on hand.

Back
Top Bottom