Raising just two?

Chicken_You_Out

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
We did not have much success with our recent hatch (only our second, ever!) and only 2 of our original 8 eggs survived. Janice and Thelma. Is it OK to raise the two of them on their own? We have an adult flock of around 25-30 birds. Will it be alright to add them, or will they have to stay in their own coop/indoors as pets? Our TSC is starting August Chick Days in a few weeks, so we could possibly add more then. Janice and Thelma are now about 4 days old, and are in a small brooder with an Ecoglow and SaveAChick water/regular chick food.

As long as they're not alone they should be just fine. So yes, 2 chicks will be ok together. Once they're close in size to the rest of your flock is when is typically recommended to start integration. If you have a coop you can keep side by side where they can see but not touch the newcomers this usually helps greatly once you actually integrate them.
My flock is quite docile and I find I can integrate chicks fairly young but every flock dynamic is different so when you decide to start introducing them I would make sure to take time to watch how they behave and I always put out extra food and water stations so the newcomers can always have access without getting bullied.
Good luck with your new peeps!

Maybe you can introduce a nice motherly hen to the two chicks and see if she adopts them? It's better to have momma on their side to protect them and integrate them into the flock. The other chickens will leave the two little runts alone if they know that the runts have a momma to protect them. If no one adopts the two, I would suggest you wait until they get old enough to get away from harm once introduced..... and it will take a pretty long time for them to get that age.

Maybe you can introduce a nice motherly hen to the two chicks and see if she adopts them? It's better to have momma on their side to protect them and integrate them into the flock. The other chickens will leave the two little runts alone if they know that the runts have a momma to protect them. If no one adopts the two, I would suggest you wait until they get old enough to get away from harm once introduced..... and it will take a pretty long time for them to get that age.
Yes, haha, I’ve introduced all of my chicks after raising them from when they were one day old. And no, my hens don’t even go broody!

Yes, haha, I’ve introduced all of my chicks after raising them from when they were one day old. And no, my hens don’t even go broody!

You should have the introductions mastered then! lol, I had my first broody in the middle of winter and I was so excited...fast forward several months and I've had 6 broody hens this year and I'm ready for them to cut it out! lol :rolleyes:

Why, oh why, did you have to say that? I didn't even finish reading the post and was checking the TSC website to see when ours is. Didn't even realize they did a fall chick days, but now the damage is done, lol. Someone restrain me!!:drool:jumpy
I know!! It’s the worst. I’ve been pining for some more ducklings, knowing I’m far too busy. This is torture!

Back
Top Bottom