Raising mealworms in only one bin?

debonatrix

Songster
Sep 5, 2022
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to try raising my own mealworms, but I am hoping I can do it in one bin instead of the many drawers. Has anyone tried this successfully? Any tips or ideas?

I raised mealworms for a few years mostly because the beetles are pretty darn hardy and I couldn't kill them off even with neglect. The beetles were on top in a plastic container and I had a screen for a floor. In theory the eggs drop down to the second container. My biggest issues: 1. the carrots, apples got moldy . 2. One time the plastic got cracked and tiny mealworms were everywhere, on the ceiling, walls. The suckers are small as babies. They crawled out of the cracks. 3. You have to rotate the beetle larvae back to the top. 4 It was like an ongoing science experiment more than a food source. My hens think corn is Crack cocaine and meal worms are blah. The can opener is a lot less work.

Hi everyone,

I am wanting to try raising my own mealworms, but I am hoping I can do it in one bin instead of the many drawers. Has anyone tried this successfully? Any tips or ideas?
Did you start a single drawer system yet? If so, how is it going?

I’m in my third month and unsure of what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom