1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising mealworms - When can I started feeding?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I got 2000 mealworms around 4 weeks ago and they are thriving! There are all stages of development in my tank right now....eggs, beetles, in-between...things. :p when can I start taking out a handful to feed my chickens? How often can/should I take some out for healthy growth?

2. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    You can feed a few here and there, but if you can stand to wait 4-6 months, your colony will multiply much more quickly. Somewhere someone has figured out how much to feed per week, but I don't recall. I base it upon size. When my colony was up and going strong, I probably fed about 1/3 cup a week.

3. feathersaloft

feathersaloft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    NW Georgia
    My mealworms arrived this week, and it is killing me not to let the gals have just a few!
    I'm thinking they may like the dead ones though.

4. lovemealworms

lovemealworms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2015
    chico, California
    if you have the space and tubs for it, moving all beetle to a new tub every two weeks will get you better numbers. When they are in beetle and mealworm form they will eat pupaes (little alien looking things) and eggs. It will also let each batch grow to the same size at the same time. So you can feed adult chickens larges and smalls to the chicks. Any questions let me know. Ive been doing this for years. I'm up to 9 pounds of mealworms a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by