Raising Mealworms.

Quote:
yes... although separating super worms from their beetles... is super easy... you have to stress out the worms for them to pupate... it seems easy, but i don't like holding superworms... they feel like they are going to bite me...

my friend a bearded dragon breeder told me that one time a colony of superworms ate one of his young paralyzed (his rear legs) bearded dragon alive... those guys will eat anything... i've seen people feeding them dead mice... if they can eat meat and stuff, what's to say they aren't going to bite me... LOL...

If you don't feed the worms for more that a week they sure will feast on the pupae, which results in dark blemishes, and inturn results to deformed beetles. Only if the larvae haven't been fed much in the first place, though.

o.k. so I am starting to realize these things need a lot less work than I anticipated. I will keep them all together, supply a bigger home , right now they're in a plastic shoe box, and just throw in an extra carrot. I have seperated the colony into 2, one on cornmeal and the other on bran because I want to see the survival rates, worm size, and differences at all really. Most people say bran is better, but with a gluten intolerant child I try not to by bran in the first place.

I started a mealworm colony a day ago and now their are all these little white bugs running around on the sides of the containers and on the carrot. I don't know what they came from, but kinda think they came from the chicken feed. Are they mites or what are they? Would it be better to use oatmeal? Help
sad.png

ps. my mom is having a fit and is getting grossed out and think she is getting the creepy crawly things on her

Back
Top Bottom