raising meat birds in the fall

stifflej

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
I am considering raising some Cornish X birds as soon as I get a my shed build. will they grow better in the spring/summer, than they will in a PA fall/winter? Will they need more feed to keep warm when the temps drop?

Thanks.

They will grow slower in the cooler temps, so you will likely go through more feed to get them ready for butcher. But it can be done.
We have some going right now and its been 40 at night and 60 during the days adn were still getting 5 pound dressed weight at 12 weeks.

My daughter's 4H birds were hatched on May 29, she received 47 birds. She only lost 3 birds, 2 the first week and the third at 5 weeks of age. We have weather ranging from the 5o's to the 90's.

If you provide adequate ventilation, water, and shelter you should not have issues with your broilers. After all, the majority of commercial broiler production is in the Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia region which has high temperatures and humidity. If they can raise thousands of broilers in one building then I don't see why you can't raise 25 or 50 in your backyard without issues.

Jim

we are having weird temps here and i haven't had any issues yet...they are 3 weeks today.

have another batch coming tomorrow or friday. i am going to give it a whirl in august, but we have lots of shade and water; i'm praying they do well. it'll be a good test.

if it works, i'm going to keep doing them.

I'm getting my first batch of meaties the first week of September. I'm planning to put the brooder in the barn and work from there, eventually moving them to a coop in a field further from the house and free ranging them days. I'm SO excited!!! I guess I'll be able to compare fall to spring to summer next year... if this works out well, I'll just keep cycling birds in and out, since I've got 11 relatives who could use the meat. Being able to help out would make me SO HAPPY. I'll tell you... if I can stomach processing, I am definitely making (or asking dh to make) a whizbang rollercoaster!

Back
Top Bottom