Raising meat birds in the Fall

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by foamspoon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. foamspoon

foamspoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2007
    Hello,

I am interested in raising meat birds in the fall and harvest around Thanksgiving. Any concerns I should have? I live in NY. It should not be too bad weather wise? Would Red Rangers be better than Cornish X Rocks?

Thanks,

Bryan

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    Have you looked into broilers? They can't reproduce and aren't super strong healthwise. But they will put on that meat by November.

HS Pye

3. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    CX's are the only birds that will get to a decent size in the nine weeks between now and thanksgiving. If you don't mind a 3-4lbs bird you can go for something like a freedom ranger. My CX's are seven weeks today and handling the night in the upper 40's just fine but not sure how they'd handle the cold and snow of late October with those bare chests. Still, anything else you'd be lucky to get a 3lb carcass from in 9 weeks I think.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

CX Can reproduce, but they will not breed true.

They have to be raised a certain way, but can't is definitely not accurate in this statement.

5. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    There is truth to that. I worded that wrong. Broilers 'can' reproduce, but you have to have them super healthy and take the best of care for them. However, it has been said many times that the hatch rate isn't very good and if your hens do lay eggs, the chick might not live anyways.

HS Pye

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  6. beanmcnulty

beanmcnulty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Baltimore, OH
    I raised some rangers last fall- up to thanksgiving- and we had cold wet weather in october (in ohio). They definitely didnt get in as much feed so a lot of them were behind the curve, had to keep back like 10 for being too small, I go 9 weeks on ranger cockerels and they get 5 pounds live weight under normal (not cold and wet) conditions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by