Raising meat birds.

The fact is that big hybrid meat birds, like Cornish Cross, really struggle in the heat. They are so big and have such fast metabolisms. The best tip I can give, is to try to manage your schedule so that you are not raising them to maturity in the peak of summer. I like to start mine in the Fall, so they are maturing in November and December.

If that is not realistic, I would suggest a few things. First, if possible, pick a slightly slower growing meat bird, like a Red Ranger/Freedom Ranger/Slow White Broiler. Second, make sure they have areas of deep shade to hang out during the day and very easy access to water. If you are dealing with a dry heat, misters really help. Finally, make sure that wherever they are sleeping, is spacious enough so they are not being crowded and very well ventilated. You will have to a plan to deal with their droppings on a daily bases, to keep the smell and flies under control.

Plenty of shade and water. Fans wouldn’t hurt. I personally don’t raise them through the hots months. I only start them as chicks in the hot months. I process outside so I try to plan it so I process when it is not to hot.

I try to get my meat birds in March or September. Here in So. IL, temps can range from 10* to 80* in March. September it's usually still 100*. I freeze 1 gal buckets of water and add the ice to the waterer in my meat birds coop. I do this 2x a day at least. I have their run set up on the north west side of the coop to give them the most amount of cool shade in the morning, and a few trees on the West side for afternoon shade.

Back
Top Bottom