Raising Meat Rabbits

Anyone feel like posting their "story" or what it was like when you first got the rabbits, their cage/hutch etc?

Rabbit #1 was a big lop ear mix that was free came with cage etc. He is our buck and him and two of our female are no kill bunnies we alowed our kids to name them etc . We just got 2 more doe's.and made it very clear their names are lunch and dinner. I live in a cold climate cages are plywood with cage wire front and back and botoom with basically a a nest box built on the end that is shorter and the lid can be opened to stuff full of straw for warmth they burrow in contently. We let our out when the weather permits in the daughters playhouse. ( right before we move it around for mowing) and a small 4 x6 dog kennel when weather permits.aloows for good cage cleaning.

I had been researching raising rabbits as well and almost went out to buy some. I was going to use them for meat and also fur. I hesitated though, since I was already raising my baby chicks at the time and hadn't had my chickens for long. I'm still thinking about it but wonder about the pee smell really. The chickens are nice because they don't pee, lol. I was going to get the "Silver Fox" breed, I love the fur they have and maybe one other type just for variety of fur. They are also big enough to be good meat rabbits, but not always easy to find. One thing I did was visit a farm and asked a bunch of questions of the breeder, it was really helpful and I suggest you try it! We just have our backyard so I'm curious how far away from the house people keep their rabbits? Do you have a problem with the pee smell? I look forward to seeing your progress on getting your rabbits started!

I have had rabbit since I was a child. Our are currently 50 ft or so from our house. Wire cage bottom is a must. We put hay or shavings under the cage then rake them up 2 times a month. march to oct. I live in a non incorparated town with just under an acre but I have large house 55ft by 35 a 28ft round pool. 40 by 60 garden. About 30 x 40 chicken coops. And a one car garage.. I put my animals mostly downwind from my home ....if you aren 't going to have. 30 rabbits. You can house females together if they were all young and got at about same time. 1 male cage, and a cage for whatever pg female and kits. Like chickens rabbit need daylight for fertility they don't want to mate in winter. The females you could put in with your chickens for exercise but not the males he will hump anything. Chickens and rabbits are a good combo they share many foods BOSS etc. Btw my favorite trick for treats for both my kids love broccili I cut the heads then let it keep growing the little side heads come on and leaves keep growing big dark leaves so I pick some of those off. 2 or three times a week.cold loving veggie so it is gone and replaced. But very dual purpose for feed

Thanks misbhaven =) I won't have 30 rabbits so hopefully the smell stays down!

starchicky, unfortunately I can't find a breeder near me. It would take a day trip to get to one, so thats a no go. I will post my progress though, but cage first =)

nayeli i raise meat rabbits and i can tell you the cages are the most important part! i prefer a wire bottom cage for buck two wire bottom cages for separating and growing off babies
[/IMG] and a wire bottom cage with a drop down nest box for does i prefer hanging mine for cleaning purposes if you do hang them remember to make sure you can reach the back of the cage from inside of it also i choose not to allow them on the grass because it can cause scours and worms and i dont use chemicals on my rabbits never house two adult rabbits in the same cage they will fight or overbreed rabbits prefer being alone i hope you find the cages and bunnies and have much success here are some pics from my rabbits amy

Back
Top Bottom