Raising Meat Rabbits

While I'm sure there are some Amish with rabbits, a lot of them have switched to producing dogs since three is little market for rabbit. There is far more profit in raising dogs I don't live in the Amish area of the county, although there are a lot around me.
(A lot of people around here don't work on Sundays!)

@Amy, they are adorable! Will they still get worms if you feed them fresh veggies?

i just dont let them in the soil soil harbors many bacteria and worms and other things if you choose treats i wouldnt give wet things lettuce cabbage and greens caiuse awful diarrhea whick can kill your bunnies my rule is no more than a quarter of a carrot or that same amount of something else they make pet bunny treats that are seeds nuts and honey if you want to feed snacks but they will grow off better on grain and plain grass hay only i dont give many treats i use petting and loving to tame mine they will also need wood to chew preferably willow or their teeth will grow too large their teeth never stop growing!

Amy what breeds are those? I wish you lived closer! However with spring just around the corner I'm seeing that livestock in my area isn't as sparse as I originally believed it to be!

My gray doe is a chinchilla mix my white buck is a new zealand white mix and the babies are a mix of the two many folks dont mix breeds i dont mix breed chickens but i find mixing rabbit breeds gives more vigor in offspring and a nice range of colors for my customers who prefer pets rather than meat! the black nosed female took on the californian color and high back which i find very desirable all rabbits have good and bad qualities!

i have a black lionhead mix that is cute as a button...(daughters pet) ...have yet to breed her she is just now 6 months and not interested do to the short daylight hours..planning on using her for pet rabbits to sell

I have to say I thought the rabbits were cute too. I was just reading Storey's and he recommends purebreeds but he also recommends pedigrees and all that nonsense. Even though its cheap enough I doubt there is anyone local to provide papers and inspect... plus although I may sell some I'm raising them for meat...

you will find everyone has different opinions but you need to find what fits your life i just sold two does a few days ago and the buyer absolutely loved them pure breeds they are not but to me and my customers they are very valuable! to each his own! as you breed and get experience you will find your own way!

Back
Top Bottom