Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics

This is the extension to the watering system for the quail, pheasants and on the other side is for the duck's and chickens

I am looking to put my meat rabbits outside, I know they are very intolerant to sudden change in temp. They are in my back room right now but plan on putting them in my shed which I keep my small bantam chickens. It happens to be 50 degrees out today and I lowered the temp to 65 in the house is it possible to put them out there if they have been outside before (two weeks ago)? Just interested in some advise what can I do without stressing my livestock out?

Looking for some answers! I have some meat rabbits that were outside two weeks ago but brought them in to make their enclosure in a shed for them. Is it too late to bring them out if the weather is 50 outside today and about 65 inside? The weather will drop lower at night.

I'm no expert but I think your rabbits would be OK. They tolerate cold fairly well as long as there are no drafts.

Looking for some answers! I have some meat rabbits that were outside two weeks ago but brought them in to make their enclosure in a shed for them. Is it too late to bring them out if the weather is 50 outside today and about 65 inside? The weather will drop lower at night.

They will be ok.
Temps can swing 20 degrees in a single day, and they can handle that just fine.

Last edited:
new kits. Now I have 8 that are 5.5 weeks old 8 that are 2 weeks old and 7 that are a week old. New Zealand White s.

Ok so I need some guidance on rabbits. I'm starting to set up my rabbit hutch. I live in Michigan and it is typically very cold here. Should I have a nest box in there all the time while it's cold?

If you leave a nest box in all the time the rabbits may use it as a toilet. I suggest you get a good book or two on raising rabbits. I personally like Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits by Bob Bennett. It isn't very expensive and you can get a copy from amazon.com. It is a good beginner's book and it covers all phases of rabbit raising like getting started, breeding, housing, and butchering. Bennett lives in Vermont, so what works for him in Vermont will probably work for you in Michigan.

Thank you I will try to find the book. I have another question though. If I start off with just a buck and one doe should I try to get them from different breeders? Does it matter with rabbits?

Back
Top Bottom