Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
We lost our litter it got down to 38 last night ... not going to count it as a strike for the mom one of the babies clearly had a full belly just too cold for 2 day old bunnies. Downpours every day for the past 4 mom may have very well been wet and cold herself we had that lovely sideways rain even wet in my coop through the vents..so sad..crazy winter temps in May..we didn't want to move them or the mom indoors because we were not 100% certain which one was the mom 2 sisters share a cage..

We lost our litter it got down to 38 last night ... not going to count it as a strike for the mom one of the babies clearly had a full belly just too cold for 2 day old bunnies. Downpours every day for the past 4 mom may have very well been wet and cold herself we had that lovely sideways rain even wet in my coop through the vents..so sad..crazy winter temps in May..we didn't want to move them or the mom indoors because we were not 100% certain which one was the mom 2 sisters share a cage..

Kind of surprised by this. I had a litter in March and it was cold the whole month. They were in a she'd with the door open, frozen water twice a day. But I'm new to this, so not sure.

Do any of you guys raise dutch rabbits? I'm thinking of raising them because I love there black and white coats and think they would make pretty good profit

I believe Dutch are about half the size of New Zealand/ Californian/ Champagne D'argent. They are edible, but primarily raised as pets. If that is the market you are aiming for, they would be fine. Just considered a little small as meat rabbits by most.

I'm raising for myself, as my state does not permit farm processing for sale without lots of inspections and licensing. I have some of all three of the above as well as a couple crossed with Silver Fox. Those crosses are nice sized, I think I'll be breeding them this weekend.

Do any of you guys raise dutch rabbits? I'm thinking of raising them because I love there black and white coats and think they would make pretty good profit
Is see your avatar name is Chicken Farmer. Have you figured out a way to make $ with your chickens? If so, perhaps you can make $ with rabbits.

I have never figured out how to make a profit with my chickens and certainly have no expectation of making any $ with my rabbits. To make $ in either field you have to have a large population of animals and a reliable distribution channel.

Is see your avatar name is Chicken Farmer. Have you figured out a way to make $ with your chickens? If so, perhaps you can make $ with rabbits.

I have never figured out how to make a profit with my chickens and certainly have no expectation of making any $ with my rabbits. To make $ in either field you have to have a large population of animals and a reliable distribution channel.
I only have around 20 some chickens in my big pen and coop in our yard for pets and eggs so I'm not really a chicken farmer but I do sell eggs/chickens of all ages/and I always put 2 dozen eggs from my flock in my incubator and sell them $ a piece than go up a dollar every week. And actually I have 2 dozen in the incubator right now due tomorrow and some already hatching. So I do make some profit with my chickens and plus they help out with the compost pile. And I have a pair of new zeland whites right now(doe due anytime now) and there my first rabbits ever and I'm gonna sell the baby rabbit when there around 6 weeks old for meat/pets/4-h etc so since I have NZW for meat sell I'm wanting to get a ''pet'' breed to sell as pets.

Kind of surprised by this. I had a litter in March and it was cold the whole month. They were in a she'd with the door open, frozen water twice a day. But I'm new to this, so not sure.
she was a new mom and it was horrible rain and it poured for 4 days the mom was soaked, cage etc ( never happened before)..mine are in wire cages with a enclosed wood box for shelter on the back.......

The Kits are SOO cute! They have finally opened their eyes and I have determined 4 that are possibilites to keep for another breeding doe since they aren't related to my buck (doe was bought bred).

was outside late last night and 2 of our females where having Kits, one of our harlequion mix and a lion head/lop ear mix both had babies last night.... not sure on the number of each. hoping they all survive. both are NEW moms.

Back
Top Bottom