Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
Got half of one hutch built today out of pallets, didn't take pictures, so far this build has cost me $47, dad had extra 2x4s, and picked up some pallets for me, now i just need to put the walls up and put a roof on it, should have the first one done by tomorrow or next weekend. Not sure i want to be building on Christmas Day, after all the food and gifts I think I will just take it easy. I will post up pictures once I get back over there to work on them some more.

So, does anyone supplement pellets for growing meat kits? My first doe is due soon, silver fox breed. Their pellet feed is a 17% protein, plus they will get timothy hay for roughage. The mill I get their feed from also offers a 26% protein pellet to supplement, and recommends for lactating does as well as growing kits. I asked the guy at the feed store when I ordered last about it, and he said it is a product similar to calf-manna. But he was unsure whether there would be enough benefit from the supplement to offset cost, etc. Is it worth getting?

Also, I have not thus far added salt spools to their cages because I had read that most feeds contain enough. Should I offer them?

Mine get unlimited alfalfa/orchard blend hay and pellets, while with their mother. Then they move out to a pasture tractor. Outside, they eat pasture and get pellets twice a day. The tractor gets moved two or three times a day. It takes a bit longer for them to reach processing weight, but it's worth it for us.
You can get the same protein boost by switching to alfalfa hay. A bale will last longer than the pellets will, and may be cheaper.

Thanks! I have seen on craigslist 3rd cutting alfalfa hay not too far from me. But I had thought that timothy was better since pellets are more alfalfa so I hadn't looked into it yet. My three don't like the bale of hay that I picked up for nestboxes (unknown composition, but ok for eating) that I did get as much as the spendier tim hay sold for rabbits.

I would love to have a pasture option, but the front yard is rock and back is dirt. Eventually, we are planning on putting in some sod and some plots with frames over that I can grow some fun stuff for the chooks and will probably build a bunny tractor too.

Just keep that bare dirt watered in the spring, and watch what springs up. It will be much healthier for rabbits than sod. Sod is usually only one type of grass, and not a very good feed option. Pasture is more than just grass. It's all sorts of grasses, weeds, dandelions, and clovers.

This is hutch 1 of 3 that I will be building, base of hutch 2 is done and hutch 3 is not even started. All that number one needs is the door mounted at the end and another door cut into the wooden area and the roof put on, then it is ready for paint. Not going to get back over to finish the other two hutches until next weekend, so it is a slow process. They will all be painted a mossy green color, and lined up on the back fence line side by side by side.

Last edited:
So, does anyone supplement pellets for growing meat kits? My first doe is due soon, silver fox breed. Their pellet feed is a 17% protein, plus they will get timothy hay for roughage. The mill I get their feed from also offers a 26% protein pellet to supplement, and recommends for lactating does as well as growing kits. I asked the guy at the feed store when I ordered last about it, and he said it is a product similar to calf-manna. But he was unsure whether there would be enough benefit from the supplement to offset cost, etc. Is it worth getting?

Also, I have not thus far added salt spools to their cages because I had read that most feeds contain enough. Should I offer them?
17% is too much protein for adult rabbits. 16% is better, and even lower, if you can find it. 26% is WAY too much protein for ANY rabbit. Don't buy it.
Great supplements are oats, other concentrates(in limited amounts), and grass hay. Alfalfa hay is ok, but most pellets are made from alfalfa, so they get enough alfalfa in the pellets. First or second cut is usually best.

We are getting into Chin/Flemish crosses. The buck I have currently looks like an otter rex, he is gorgeous, my oldest named him Otter. We will be getting a doe in a few weeks once the weather clears enough for me to make it up her driveway without sliding into a trailer. The doe is going to be named Toby, my youngest named her. Both boys are in charge of taking care of their rabbits everyday, as we don't have the female yet my youngest(4 years old) is getting the easy route, whereas my 7 year old has chores to do after and before school. We are going to start breeding this spring, and only have a couple litters a year with winters off, since our winters are cold and wet I don't want to be dealing with babies in the winter.
Flemish/Chin crosses are great meat rabbits, and they have pretty pelts. Breeding in the spring is a good idea. How old are the rabbits?

Hey, @balloonflower - you know we're waiting to see those kits!
pop.gif

I just feed lactating does the same alfalfa-based pellets they always eat (unlimited) along with hay - orchardgrass, timothy, etc. I mix some rolled oats and black oil sunflower seeds (about 10%) in with the pellets to provide variety, too.

You can feed alfalfa hay to the doe and kits...the protein is good for the kits' growth, especially, but I have seen that it's not recommended for non-lactating adult rabbits. I also don't supplement with salt or minerals, since they eat a complete feed.

I can't wait to see the kits either! 28 days from first oops-grooming coupling is tomorrow. So far other than weight gain, she hasn't started nesting with the hay or anything, so I'm anxiously watching, but can't figure if it will be this week or in 10 days.

So, another question. Her current cage is 24x30". I will be getting the supplies to make my larger kindling cage on Thursday, but may not have it ready for the event if it's this week. Am I better off removing the nest box during the day to give her more room, or will they all (hopefully) be ok in the small cage for a few days. Our weather looks good for kindling--40-50 day and only 20 night, plus they're in the attached garage so not bad enough that i feel i have to bring the kits in for warmth.

Back
Top Bottom