Raising Mule Ducks for Meat - My Journal

So we ended up doing one because of the size. I'll still be able to compare 7 weeks to the next 2 times but I allow the others to grow. My husband used an ax since it was too small for our cones. I used my new electric plucker and it worked awesome. It did have some pin feathers and fluff at 7 weeks 2 days but it's just for my husband and he doesn't mind.

It weighed 3.11 lbs alive and 2.5 lbs cleaned. The ducks average 2.69lbs and at this point cost $2.68 a lb in feed (live weight). Which isn't bad imo. I did switch to regular starter/grower the last couple weeks. I'll probably switch to a meat grower feed soon.

Here's a couple pics. When I cook it up, I'll post.
20200405_170547.jpg
20200405_172213.jpg

I came out so good! It was super moist and my husband loved it. He wished there was more meat. Lol. I was pretty proud of how it turned out.
20200406_190020.jpg
20200406_190920_HDR.jpg

From what I've read if the muscovy is the drake, the offspring will be similar size male and female, and the females won't lay. If the muscovy is the hen there will be a sex size difference and the females will lay. I won't be keeping any of this batch long enough to test it but I might keep a few with the next round just to see.

I'm confused.

It sounds like one of you said that the females will drop eggs but be infertile. And then it sounds like the next person said they won't drop eggs?

Can you clarify?

Sorry, I'm sort of not used to the terms and also new to ducks.

And wow that meat looks good.

I've heard some people who do butchery of rabbits say that whether or not it tastes good depends on if you drain the blood or not. Is that also true for ducks? And can you comment about this? (I don't know if either is true, but it sounds interesting.)

For example, most of my life I hated cabbage, and then someone told me the real way to eat cabbage is to barbecue it like in Korean Barbecue, or grill it, etc and that's where it shines. (This turned out to be true. You grill cabbage and have it with meat or rice and its a blast.)

Back
Top Bottom