Raising my own chickens!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kelschicks, Aug 20, 2014.

1. kelschicks

kelschicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Evan city
    Hello! I am new to byc and I am excited because I am
    New to raising chickens of my own and have many
    Questions. My boyfriend and I started a small coop at his
    Home with a baby Plymouth Rock rooster we raised it
    Then later on purchased a 8 month old hen for it, all is well
    In that coop! I loved raising chickens so I purchased my own
    For my own coop at my home. I purchased a barred rock Cochin a year
    Old with it's new baby chick and a couple month old rooster.
    My boyfriend purchased the roosters sister I should say and took it to his coop.

Here is my question, it is my second day with the chickens and as I knew would
    Happen the mother is so protective of her baby and mean to me and the rooster.
    The first night went fine they all slept in there pen together and were out all day together.
    Almost at dust the rooster started acting odd, non stop chirping very loud like a cry.
    He seemed scared, wanting me to hold him and climbing all on me to get me to be by him.
    I went to put all the birds away and the momma bird was attacking and pecking the rooster,
    It refused to go in. I was so scared because I then figured the poor thing is scared to be near the momma hen. So I temporary put a separate crate for the rooster and the mom and chick in the coop house. I'm now nervous they will never get use to eachother even though they came from the same place, I feel like my poor rooster is trapped and lonely!is this normal? What should I do?

2. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    If I got this right you have a hen with a baby, and she will be mean to you and anything she sees as a threat to her chick. Due to danger to the chicks from other chickens I keep mom and baby in a area where they can be seem, but no other birds can get to them. Chicks can be killed by adults. When the chick is older, and able to run and hide I start letting the mom and baby into the main flock. When she takes after you, and other birds she is just being a good mom, and after the chick grows she will go back to her old personality. I have a 'broody' raising 2 chicks in a pen inside the pen, but did loose 2 that were killed by the flock before I seperated them.

3. kelschicks

kelschicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2014
    Evan city
    Okay thank you!! This morning I let the rooster out alone for two hours then let the mom and baby out and it seemed to really help because everyone had their own time. I could tell the rooster was stressed and scared, I knew the mom would be mean. I only go near the mom to get her up in the pen at night that's all. They all seem much better today!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by