Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

yeah i mentioned i was considering it. I called the breeder and she was really nice and willing to hold them for me! They are Am Chinchillas. It's only 35 min away too which is really good for my location. Usually everything is at least an hour and a half away!

Making then pay for themselves is easy, making profit, a lot harder lol real profit for us comes through meat and breeders, but it costs to grow out breeders so breed only quality.
We build cages, have breeders available, babies available, offering all parts for sale when processing-ears, feet, hides, meat, organs for dog owners feeding raw diets, we sell rabbit poop bagged for gardens.

I'd say make them pay for themselves to start.
Get quality breeders. Pure bred anything sells bit better than mutts. Breed the best and eat the rest.

Decide what market to sell in.
Pets are a no-no in many areas so look up your local rules.
Meat means you'll have to process every 12 weeks as litters come in.
Raising Breeders is good money but you'll need cages (we make them cost is low for us, usually this is a big expense) and have to feed them longer.

We won't get rich! But we eat and raise them for free (except labor). We started making profit when we hit 40 breeders. Want to get 20 more breeding for a bigger profit.

This may be a dumb question For you so don't think I am stupid for asking . How do you collect the rabbit poop is it on the ground- tray or what. I use wire caged bottoms and mine is on the ground but messy looking the rabbits always dumps food in their too so you get seeds and food pellets with mine so I don't see how people would want this. and the chickens rake it for me . So how do you do it do it properly ? I seen at the feed store Bags that are prepared called rabbit popo I always thought this was a good idea they came up with but never tried to sell my own.

She's agoti chestnut...maybe a red parent. Breed her to a white buck and she can throw red, whites and agotis chestnuts I believe.
She's cute!
Well, we are getting our rabbits. Today I went to pick up what I thought was a New Zealand Red doe. Upon arrival, however, I noticed that she is most certainly not red. I am going with Agouti (sp?) of some sort. Wanted to post here and see what you all thought of pur new addition, Dumpling.
;)

She's agoti chestnut...maybe a red parent. Breed her to a white buck and she can throw red, whites and agotis chestnuts I believe.
She's cute!

That was going to be my next question. What would be best coloring to breed her with :) I know we can't show her, but my daughter now wants a 'Pet' rabbit. Hmmm... Maybe this wasn't such a clear thought out plan... Lol xD

I use wire cages too. Falls onto ground with used hay below to the riversilt/sand base of our rabbitry.

I use a large rake and rake it out. This pulls old hay into a pile I use that in my gardens as mulch.
Then I rake into a pile the rest of poop pile and shovel it into bags. I keep bags dry. It's icky looking because its composting. Lol that's the good stuff gardeners NEED! Til that waste right into a garden bed or pile it on a compost pile and it will turn to soil. Nutrient rich soil! Put it in a barrel composter and have soul in 8 weeks. Sell the miracle all natural soil!

No such thing as a dumb question. Always ask and shame others if they knock you for asking!
This may be a dumb question For you so don't think I am stupid for asking . How do you collect the rabbit poop is it on the ground- tray or what. I use wire caged bottoms and mine is on the ground but messy looking the rabbits always dumps food in their too  so you get seeds and food pellets with mine so I don't see how people would want this.   and the chickens rake it for me . So how do you do it do it properly ? I seen at the feed store Bags that are prepared called rabbit popo  I always thought this was a good idea they came up with but never tried to sell my own.

Last edited:
She's cute!

That was going to be my next question. What would be best coloring to breed her with
smile.png
I know we can't show her, but my daughter now wants a 'Pet' rabbit. Hmmm... Maybe this wasn't such a clear thought out plan... Lol xD

Red in NZs is recessive similar to the rex gene, so both parents would have to be carrying it for it to show up. She is indeed a chestnut and you would need either another chestnut, a white carrying red, or a red to get red out of her - I believe. And then there's a bunch about rufus factors that determine how red the kits will be which I'm still learning about.
tongue.png

Was really just wondering if it was possible or likely to get a full color kit from her. Guess I won't know unless I try! Still have my eye open for a male. Have a while until I want to breed her, few months I suppose. She's only about 17 weeks old. Bit young ;)

I use wire cages too. Falls onto ground with used hay below to the riversilt/sand base of our rabbitry.

I use a large rake and rake it out. This pulls old hay into a pile I use that in my gardens as mulch.
Then I rake into a pile the rest of poop pile and shovel it into bags. I keep bags dry. It's icky looking because its composting. Lol that's the good stuff gardeners NEED! Til that waste right into a garden bed or pile it on a compost pile and it will turn to soil. Nutrient rich soil! Put it in a barrel composter and have soul in 8 weeks. Sell the miracle all natural soil!

No such thing as a dumb question. Always ask and shame others if they knock you for asking!
I do that with my piles I have three compost piles through out the land and it does turn to black gold so I am doing it right my chickens mixes it for me they love it. as for using it in my gardens I just put the piles right on them and mix it up and I get a surprise garden all year tomato's squash what ever the rabbits ate and dropped. I have 14 rabbits so that's is a lot of good stuff going on.
thanks for the taking time to explain this process this was very helpful .

Back
Top Bottom