Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

Hmmmm new auto waterer, freshly hung cages, loaded up on feed n hay...sold a whole bunch of bunnies today :th lol that IS the goal but need more now lol. Remaining buns are in their own cages now tho :gig

Sounds good. If I lived close to you I'd buy some wabbits from you! :)

So we've built quite a bit of space and cages. We want to keep good records and make the rabbitry as efficient as possible. This is where we make our money. Chicks, eggs, meat birds...all pay for themselves and help others get it at a good price. BUT rabbits? We made 6x's what we put into it in only a few kindles. I have lines of people booked for the next year ("dibs" lol) and a few of those already were a customer and are coming back. So set up of the rabbitry is important to us. All on auto water, clear floors making cleaning and packing bunny berries for resale a breeze, now we focus on cage set up. What does everyone do as far as record keeping? I keep a notebook, I keep a clipboard hung on each breeder cage with all notes for that rabbit, a clipboard for each boarder and one for each rescue. Babies are ear tagged and seperated when weaned and again when sexed. I keep up with ear tags until they are sold to new owners then I record sold and ear tag #'s with available buyers data.
Set up we did this for now, trying for efficiency and easy grouping. Should work right? Hope so, cages are hung lol be a pain to relocate a 4th time but we will!
At the moment we have a few different things going on. We set it up in four, 15 ft rows and have room for another 3 rows (one already dedicated to growout cages)

We have our pure breds and papered breeders in a row - these are our breeders of future breeders.
We have a row of Pet quality (humongous cuteness and niceness or novelty factors and culls from breeder stock)
We have pre ordered growouts in a row (this had been our money maker go figure, people will wait patiently for fresh new stock I have learned, and done myself!)
And a row for rescues - once people know you have animals, you always end up getting more others couldn't keep - like the 9 coming my way today :/ so we prepared for that and are full now lol

Be careful selling pet rabbits. This is big news these days on the meat rabbit pages but an Indiana couple who raised and sold rabbits as pets recently got fined something like $100,000 for not being licensed. And if you sell $500+/ yr as pets it is federal law you be licensed for it. Meat is actually safer!

Well for our poultry exemption we got, we have to stay under 1000 annually before needing licensed (processed birds-whether sold or for us at home). Only required the annual inspection...and money. Seems its all about $ for licenses and permits. Mind you we went all out on equipment and the inspector loved new equipment and records kept so it worked out well for the meat birds.

I'll have to look up my rabbit rules for the state. I'm aware of the hunting end of them :lau and most other wild animal law here as well as domestic household...farm life not so much. This state loves homesteading thank goodness but you have to pay the fees and follow the rules still :) .
Just started getting going on the Buns, once again all new equip, vet records, new housing, have all my records in order. Might be a good time to become licensed so I won't have to later if my customer base gets large. Don't we all wish :gig (really tho never know!)

More research to do! :th

I'm in Louisiana with LSU Ag nearby. Hopefully they'll know more than they did about the chickens :gig
I do know we are federally within all exempt regulations. Need to check state rules tho :) for growth purposes, we know we are within guidelines now, but want to be if we decide to go bigger.

Last edited:
Well, the pet sales thing is nation wide federal law. If you sell $500 of pet rabbit sàles or more you need to be licensed. In Ohio meat rabbit sales are almost unregulated!

Yup, states rules are most important for getting a good foot in the door for larger Ops also, long term compliance on record is big brownie points with renewals and new permits. Don't think I want to go the pet store industry route at all. The money isn't that good and the licencing is extensive. I do always want to be prepared to grow tho even if we don't and feed just us and family n friends :) excess "pet" rabbits can be eaten just as well also. We socialize them all regardless and make sure they're happy, healthy & tame whether they're meat, breeders or pets.

I did learn recently that they can't be used for exhibition, without licencing. Need more details but seems no 4-h sales or show rabbit sales. Or showing our own stock to sell as show stock...need to research more seems federally strict leap :/ always is fine print and exceptions tho.
I know many non licensed show stock breeders that never had an issue, maybe its a numbers/money cap thing?
Sorta set me back some money, bought some pedigreed breeders for meat or show options :/ possibly just fancy pants meat now :th

Back
Top Bottom