Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

So the reason for the law is a consumer protection law... If you cant see where they are raised they need to be inspected. However... Meat, fiber and breeding animals are exempt.

I have seen somewhere in my research that when you palpate a pregnant doe, the unborn kits feel like grapes. I didn't realize it could be done as soon as 14 days. Is this a reliable analogy?

I have seen somewhere in my research that when you palpate a pregnant doe, the unborn kits feel like grapes.  I didn't realize it could be done as soon as 14 days.  Is this a reliable analogy?

It really is. It's the best way to tell, though it's not 100% foolproof. It takes a while to be able to tell the difference in fecal pellets, which are round and firm when lightly squeezed. The embryos are a lot less firm and kinda squishy. Don't be afraid that you will hurt the doe/babies because you won't :) I've had the most success through palpation

My sweet doe got a hold of a plastic bag :/ she's fine. But there were pieces I went to collect lol this doe lets me handle new born kits, cuddles and everything...but try n take a piece of plastic away and she's on attack lol

Back
Top Bottom