Raising our New Zealand Meat Rabbits *Start to finish - Birth to processing* Possible Graphic pics*

6 days old. Fat n happy.

Question: Our does are getting noticeably frisky with each other. Today, when I approached to feed them, one had a tuft of the others fur in her mouth. They are currently in the same cage. It's 4 feet by 2 feet and about 3 feet high. They seem to have plenty of room to stretch out and hop around. I notice the humping and biting behavior each time I come to feed them. While they are running around the yard, there is no display of dominance. They lay next to each other all the time. Is it just a food thing? (there are two ceramic tiles to lay on, 2 bowls in the hutch as well, 2 sources of water and two areas for hay so they shouldn't have to fight over anything. (unless they want to) Thanks for your feedback.

It could be they are coming into their hormones and like teenagers need their space. When they are out of the cage they are on neuteral ground. When they are in the cage they are competing for territory. That is why colony rabbits have such a hard time working out. They will continue to use mating behavior and even fighting to dominate one another... Even after one becomes top rabbit the other will always be dominated sometimes. That is the simple facts of it. Most people find that dominant rabbits tend to stress out less dominant ones resulting in worse litters for lower ranked rabbits unless they have A LOT of space.

I agree, unspayed/unneutered rabbits tend to have territory disputes more often as they hit adulthood.
My kits are housed together when weaned, by litter. They are then separated by sexes. All get along beautifully! Until about 12 weeks for bucks and about16 weeks for does . Then the scuffles start. Even in the giant grow out cages where there are plenty of toys, space and hides. They seem less nervous and much more friendly housed individually too.
By those ages, everyone gets their own cage (or sold by then) we keep separate for 2 reasons
1. To keep them each in top condition & be able to keep solid records - fur will go flying even if no blood in a scuffle. (I prefer a pretty rabbit, not pee stained and rough coats) easier to spot an issue or health concern individually also.
2. Here it seems each rabbit is happy and relaxed having their own cage, own food and own hideaway.
As they age they get more powerful and that lil scuffle can lead to an injury requiring a vet ($$) or cull :( .
I do realize people keep herds together, I'd still think there would be issues in a well kept herd I wouldn't want to deal with. Depending on numbers a pen can be set up easily for outdoor
playtime if that's a concern or even a wire run in the shade on the grass. :bun
It could be they are coming into their hormones and like teenagers need their space. When they are out of the cage they are on neuteral ground. When they are in the cage they are competing for territory. That is why colony rabbits have such a hard time working out. They will continue to use mating behavior and even fighting to dominate one another... Even after one becomes top rabbit the other will always be dominated sometimes. That is the simple facts of it. Most people find that dominant rabbits tend to stress out less dominant ones resulting in worse litters for lower ranked rabbits unless they have A LOT of space.

Last edited:
What would you charge for a simple trio breeding set up? I can't keep up with orders and thought we were already charging a bit much. So I'm a bit baffled!

We include a Trio of unrelated NZW, all new cages- double cage (does) and one single cage (buck), feeders, water bottles & nest boxes.
(5 gallon auto waterer option for extra $)
This is our most ordered set up at $225 for all

I know pricing varies a lot depending on location but I'd hate to be too far under an average.

Last edited:
Finally got tubing yesterday for another 5 gallon auto waterer. Every time I turn around we are building cages so we should have another one ready :lau

Played with babies today and checked out all the bunnies. Once a week or so I pull each bunny into my lap and check them out, check ears, feet, bum n bits, eyes and fur just to make sure all is well. We are in Louisiana and pests and weather can wreck havoc so we do as much prevention as possible :) maybe its too often? But the bunnies love the attention, I have peace of mind and to them its playtime so it works out.

Babies born April fool's have their eyes open (well they're napping in pics lol) they are soooo cute and this Doe (Ghost doe 1 from Celies rabbitry lines) is the most amazing mama, I wish I could clone her! :gig joke y'all no cloneing arguments!
Really tho, this mama wants attention and wants to show me her babies. Last litter she would bring them to the door of the cage lol I always put them back...sorry love your stuck with them! But the hands on really keeps the bunnies sweethearts :)
I love when our rabbits literally melt into our hands when petting them- and these are meat rabbits! :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6274393/width/200/height/400[/IMG

[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6274394/width/200/height/400

Last edited:
With all the hands on, do you think you will be able to do "the deed" when it is time. If I remember correctly, you have so many that are sold already that you haven't had the opportunity yet.

Back
Top Bottom