Raising peachick in chicken territory - cocci?

old biddy

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 30, 2010
Lamont, Florida
I have done a lot of reading up on treating new peachicks for coccidiosis. My farm has had free range chickens for years and all my pens
have had chickens in them at one time or another so I know that cocci will always be part of the equation. Since my one and only hatched out peachick was hatched
under a chicken hen along with 4 baby chicken chicks I have been concerned about cocci in their pen. I read somewhere (I think on
this forum though I can't seem to find it again) that instead of the usual 5-7 day treatment and another followup in 10 days, I should just treat them all together every day until they are six weeks of age to give the peachick time to develop resistance to the cocci. So far I have been treating them for almost 3 weeks but am getting nervous that it might be too much. Should I keep up the treated water til they are 6 weeks? I give them fresh water daily - one tsp corid per half gallon water. I have lost chicks to cocci before over the years in that pen and don't want to lose this one and only peachick that has hatched out this year. Any thoughts?

Yes. My feed store did not have game bird starter. I have it on order but it may take a week or so before it comes in.
There is nothing wrong with feeding chicken starter, it is the only choice my feed mill offers. It is a 23% protein and has amprolium, we have used it for years.
IMG_1110.JPG

Yes, its hard to sort out what is good information and what is just opinion or misinformation. We haven't found a vet anywhere around the Tallahassee area who knows about birds...so I will just keep asking questions.

I had not heard of Toltrazuril but will research it and give it a try in the future. Thanks for your help.
Clutch your purse because this stuff isn't cheap but it saves birds.

Back
Top Bottom