Raising quail with a hen!

ericschickens

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
I have a few quail, and have had 2 failed incubations with a "homemade" incubator and I've heard that a small breed of chicken (bantam preferred) can raise baby quail, how does that work? Can you please give me any tips and advice to-do so?any breeds of chicken preferred to raise quail?

*much appreciated*

-Ericandhischickens :)

Keeping quail and chickens is not good for quail. There is a link at the bottom of my signature that explains why you shouldn't keep quails and chickens together. Some people keep quail and chickens together with no problems, but all it takes is one infected chicken (of Infectious Coryza) to wipe out an entire covey of quail. Chickens that have Coryza can be medicated and be returned to normal health, but they will be carriers and continue to pass the disease along. Quail will succomb to the disease. In the most detailed book about quail, the coturnix revolution, the author discourages keeping quail and chickens together.
James
$5.92

James is obviously more skilled than me and has more knowledge I would listen to him if I were you. I'm serious, to my knowledge he's been doing this for some time, I've been doing it for two months. :p

Last edited:
James is obviously more skilled than me and has more knowledge I would listen to him if I were you. I'm serious, to my knowledge he's been doing this for some time, I've been doing it for two months.
tongue.png
To be honest, I started my quest for owning quail in October 2012, reading as much as I could about quail on the internet. Every so often, my searches brought me to this forum. In my searches, I found conversations about quail from 2009 that were of interest. One of the main contributors during that time was a member named JJMR794, and he was fiercely opposed to keeping chickens and quail together. The owner of JMF, who knows more about quail than most people, also opposes keeping quail and chickens together.
I put a nickel into a jar everytime somebody asks a question like this.... I once gave my "2 cents" in an opinion once which explains $5.92... I used to post my amount every time, but one member was opposed to my "fear mongering" and thought I was a "bully".
James

Back
Top Bottom