1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising quail with a hen!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ericschickens, Sep 7, 2013.

1. ericschickens

ericschickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    I have a few quail, and have had 2 failed incubations with a "homemade" incubator and I've heard that a small breed of chicken (bantam preferred) can raise baby quail, how does that work? Can you please give me any tips and advice to-do so?any breeds of chicken preferred to raise quail?

*much appreciated*

-Ericandhischickens :)

2. qlicer49

qlicer49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Coop
    I've only ever heard of a broody hen sitting on an egg, but now that I actually try I do believe that it could be bantams or silver-laced brahmas

3. ericschickens

ericschickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Have you tried raising quail with a hen? If so: how did it work out?

4. qlicer49

Aug 20, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Coop
    I've never done it personally but it should work out pretty well if you have a broody hen

5. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    Keeping quail and chickens is not good for quail. There is a link at the bottom of my signature that explains why you shouldn't keep quails and chickens together. Some people keep quail and chickens together with no problems, but all it takes is one infected chicken (of Infectious Coryza) to wipe out an entire covey of quail. Chickens that have Coryza can be medicated and be returned to normal health, but they will be carriers and continue to pass the disease along. Quail will succomb to the disease. In the most detailed book about quail, the coturnix revolution, the author discourages keeping quail and chickens together.
    James
    $5.92

6. qlicer49

Aug 20, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Coop
    James is obviously more skilled than me and has more knowledge I would listen to him if I were you. I'm serious, to my knowledge he's been doing this for some time, I've been doing it for two months. :p

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  7. James the Bald

James the Bald Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2013
    To be honest, I started my quest for owning quail in October 2012, reading as much as I could about quail on the internet. Every so often, my searches brought me to this forum. In my searches, I found conversations about quail from 2009 that were of interest. One of the main contributors during that time was a member named JJMR794, and he was fiercely opposed to keeping chickens and quail together. The owner of JMF, who knows more about quail than most people, also opposes keeping quail and chickens together.
    I put a nickel into a jar everytime somebody asks a question like this.... I once gave my "2 cents" in an opinion once which explains $5.92... I used to post my amount every time, but one member was opposed to my "fear mongering" and thought I was a "bully".
    James

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by