Raising Rabbits PEDIGREED or REGISTERED?

I like poetry, but I don’t like riddles. What are you talking about?
It's a vittles riddle.
Rabbit breeders who are trying to improve their rabbits keep pedigrees on all their rabbits. The information contained therein is valuable.
I know, just being vacuous.. it's my job. Had a house rabbit, used a kitty box and all.. Till he became a hind end of a mule heading south.. When I see a rabbit I think hasenpfeffer recipe.. Had an old German neighbor who got excited every time he trapped one eating his garden.. Excellent, but so many bones..! Used to get mine from Meijer's out of Canada.. When I had a family.. Considered doing them in the pole barn.. but that would mean cleaning it out to make room for cages.. Butchering animals has never been my forte'..

It's a vittles riddle.

I know, just being vacuous.. it's my job. Had a house rabbit, used a kitty box and all.. Till he became a hind end of a mule heading south.. When I see a rabbit I think hasenpfeffer recipe.. Had an old German neighbor who got excited every time he trapped one eating his garden.. Excellent, but so many bones..! Used to get mine from Meijer's out of Canada.. When I had a family.. Considered doing them in the pole barn.. but that would mean cleaning it out to make room for cages.. Butchering animals has never been my forte'..
Just a comment. Good breeders keep and sell only their very best rabbits. The rest of them end up as hasenpfeffer or something. I have no idea what hasenpfeffer is but one of my favorite recipes was to put a cut up rabbit in a baking dish, pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top, add some frozen peas and cut up potatoes, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or so.

Just a comment. Good breeders keep and sell only their very best rabbits. The rest of them end up as hasenpfeffer or something. I have no idea what hasenpfeffer is but one of my favorite recipes was to put a cut up rabbit in a baking dish, pour a can of cream of mushroom soup over the top, add some frozen peas and cut up potatoes, cover and bake at 350 for an hour or so.
Hasenpfeffer is German Rabbit Stew.. fairly simple to however complicated you wish to be.. Marinade up to two days in the fridge.. lots of shallots and things such as juniper berries.. A zillion recipes on the web.. sure there is sauerkraut in there somewhere and some schnitzel..

Well all of that sounds good, and I’ve never even had rabbit. My husband has. They raised them for meat when he was growing up. He just fed them pellets, raised them, and ate them though. So we are doing things differently. We have a carport with 3 sides closed, one end, and a door way on the opposite end. And I feed hay, and ration the pellets.
I’m looking forward to the whole process, except the physical part of culling. I dispatched the first chicken we processed, but I’m not so sure about rabbits.
I’ll join the ARBA and see what I can learn there. And I’ve been watching videos on YouTube. I’ve always been interested in color genetics, so I’m pretty excited. Even though I know it’s all a process.

Thank you all for sharing what you know :D

Back
Top Bottom