Raising Red Wiggler Worms?

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by Jmay402, May 17, 2017.

1. Jmay402

Jmay402 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this or not. If not, I'm sorry.

Does anybody raise worms for composting / gardening / snacks? I am going to give it a try but I have a few questions.

I see a lot of people using paper / cardboard / leaves / unfinished compost. Is it possible or a good idea to use sawdust from the shop? Are there any adverse conditions from using sawdust?

How easy are the worms to keep indoors without smelling?

I know chickens eat worms and love them when they are found, but is it a good idea to feed very many to them as a snack?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I raise worms, but I do not know about 100% saw dust as a bed---never tried that. A little mixed in I have done I mainly use news paper shredded. I will add some peat moss and shredded leaves if I have them. Mainly rabbit poop is what they eat. The worms eat the poop and turn it into castings, the castings fertilize the garden which has alot of greens/vegetables grown for the rabbits as well as the Family and the chickens. So I feed some of the greens to the rabbits, which they grow and feed me(rabbit meat), the chickens clean the worms out the worm poop(castings) just before I use it for the garden and any other time I want to feed them---the chickens also get some of the vegetables and they give me eggs in return. I have 15+ worm beds so they can get a hand full of worms a day If I keep the beds up. Crickets and soldier fly larva the chickens Like better than worms.

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I have a small worm bed downstairs. No odor at all. Very easy pets to keep! I mostly use it for winter composting when I'm feeling too lazy to go out in the snow to dump my compost. I've never tried the worms for snacks, though a boy sitting beside me on the bus once ate a worm b/c I dared him to. (sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease you a bit!)

4. itsasmallfarm

itsasmallfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2016
    we used to raise red worms for fishing, but that was back in like 2011 or so. it was a bit of work i think we plan on raising them again for bait and chicken treats. i would do it again i thought it was fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by