Raising Red Wiggler Worms?

Jmay402

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 30, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this or not. If not, I'm sorry.

Does anybody raise worms for composting / gardening / snacks? I am going to give it a try but I have a few questions.

I see a lot of people using paper / cardboard / leaves / unfinished compost. Is it possible or a good idea to use sawdust from the shop? Are there any adverse conditions from using sawdust?

How easy are the worms to keep indoors without smelling?

I know chickens eat worms and love them when they are found, but is it a good idea to feed very many to them as a snack?

I'm not sure if this is the correct area to post this or not. If not, I'm sorry.

Does anybody raise worms for composting / gardening / snacks? I am going to give it a try but I have a few questions.

I see a lot of people using paper / cardboard / leaves / unfinished compost. Is it possible or a good idea to use sawdust from the shop? Are there any adverse conditions from using sawdust?

How easy are the worms to keep indoors without smelling?

I know chickens eat worms and love them when they are found, but is it a good idea to feed very many to them as a snack?
I raise worms, but I do not know about 100% saw dust as a bed---never tried that. A little mixed in I have done I mainly use news paper shredded. I will add some peat moss and shredded leaves if I have them. Mainly rabbit poop is what they eat. The worms eat the poop and turn it into castings, the castings fertilize the garden which has alot of greens/vegetables grown for the rabbits as well as the Family and the chickens. So I feed some of the greens to the rabbits, which they grow and feed me(rabbit meat), the chickens clean the worms out the worm poop(castings) just before I use it for the garden and any other time I want to feed them---the chickens also get some of the vegetables and they give me eggs in return. I have 15+ worm beds so they can get a hand full of worms a day If I keep the beds up. Crickets and soldier fly larva the chickens Like better than worms.

I have a small worm bed downstairs. No odor at all. Very easy pets to keep! I mostly use it for winter composting when I'm feeling too lazy to go out in the snow to dump my compost. I've never tried the worms for snacks, though a boy sitting beside me on the bus once ate a worm b/c I dared him to. (sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to tease you a bit!)

we used to raise red worms for fishing, but that was back in like 2011 or so. it was a bit of work i think we plan on raising them again for bait and chicken treats. i would do it again i thought it was fun.

there are lots of types of worms for composting, are there any that are bad for chickens ? I want to keep the worm beds in the potting shed/greenhouse/chicken run.

Also, I would like to put the bottom of the chicken run which is chicken poo and wood shavings (pine) and straw into the worm bins. Thoughts ? opinions ?

there are lots of types of worms for composting, are there any that are bad for chickens ? I want to keep the worm beds in the potting shed/greenhouse/chicken run.

Also, I would like to put the bottom of the chicken run which is chicken poo and wood shavings (pine) and straw into the worm bins. Thoughts ? opinions ?

Worms are worms, as far as chickens are concerned.

If you use chicken bedding - which is perfectly fine to use - just compost it for a week first. Pile it in a bin and turn it. The reason why is to let the ammonia in it break down and off-gas, ammonia will kill your worms.

Back
Top Bottom