Raising rooster with hens?

Starwise

Chirping
Mar 30, 2018
Kingston, WA
My Coop
My Coop
When we ordered our second batch of chicks, there was no plan to add a rooster. But one of the chicks turned out to be a roo. Our Sicilian Buttercup, Cici, got a name change to Mr Roo Buttercup.
Growing up he was always there to check what's on your hand and wanted to be picked out of the brooder. He loved to be held. If you didn't, he would jump to the 2' edge of the brooder and came to check on you. But my wife wasn't warming up to the idea of having a rooster. But I liked the little guy and his affectionate personality.

Integrating the pullets with the older hens went without much of a trouble. Fenced in the coop separately, see but no touch for couple weeks. After that there was some pecking but no fights when I took fencing out. Mr Roo avoided the older girls as the other pullets did and he has not shown any aggressive behavior. What I'm reading from others rooster experiences here, I guess I got lucky so far.

What's changed about him is his behavior as months went by. He is not as friendly and eager to be picked up anymore. When he is roosting with the girls I can still reach out and pet him and pick him up but he doesn't let that happen from the ground. Now at 5 months old, he has mounted couple of the pullets that I've noticed so far. And wife said the other day he was running after one of them in the run for a while. But nothing aggressive. And he still gives room to the older hens and does not contest their authority in the coop.

My questions are, what should I expect of him from now on? I don't want to separate him from the rest. Is there concern of him try mating with the pullets as they are soon coming to start laying their first eggs? At what age might he try to challenge the older hens?

WP_20180618_19_02_26_Pro.jpg

What you've described so far is normal roo behavior. To be honest, roos don't have many practical or useful functions other than breeding and looking pretty, hence the lower price you pay for them. I do think that they get a bad reputation for the most part, as I have easily had more well behaved roos than bad.

It's actually probably a good thing that he's not that friendly. For me, a roo's attitude makes or breaks him. Looks are good, disposition is more important though. If he's not willing to challenge you, you will likely have little conflicts with him. The more comfortable he is with you, the more likely he'll decide to challenge your "spot" in the pecking order. This is most likely to happen once he hits chicken puberty and his hormones are raging. There are horror stories out there of young cockerels being the sweetest babies and then their hormones hit them like a ton of bricks and they have a complete personality change. For me, a good roo is one that's comfortable enough around you, but respects you enough to keep his reasonable distance. I stress: do not tolerate aggression. It's not worth it.

The roo is the natural leader of the flock and as he gets acclimated to the older girls, they'll submit to him. Especially if he's the only roo you have. As for the future, the first year is the most unstable as far as temperament. If he hasn't shown any aggression yet, it's unlikely you have one of those horror story roos. (Not saying it may not happen...he's still young) With the younger girls, as long as they are of comparable size to where he won't hurt them if he mates with them, they should be fine. He's a pretty boy. Roos are worth having around if you're like me and into the hobby for the birds themselves and if you've got a bird with the right attitude. Don't not like him just because he's a he!:D

So far, so good! It's better if he avoids you; his job is to watch out and interact with the pullets and hens, not you. I only handle my roosters if there's a heath issue that needs to be addressed, and then at night when they are roosting. Otherwise, I expect them to move away from me as I walk 'through' them, and not get in my way at all.
I've always had roosters in my flock, and appreciate the polite boys, not the jerks. Life is too short to tolerate a bird who challenges humans, or injures hens. So far, he's doing well.
Mary

It does sound good.
Don't handle him except once in awhile off the roost at night for an exam for bugs.
Do keep handling the pullets, regularly but not too frequently, and he should not object but with mild concern. He needs to know you will not hurt any of them and that you are not a threat to the safety of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom