Raising roosters for meat

First thing, you have butcher them younger than you think. Second, you need to let them set in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. As Jan Croot wrote, wait to let rigor pass. So, the legs are easy to move.

We always used the slow roast, which is what you do with wild game. I put sliced potatoes and /or sliced carrots on the bottom of the roaster. Chicken on top. Put in water, to near the top of the vegetables, but not cover them. I put on broil, 450 F for a few minutes to crisp the skin, then cover and turn temp down to 225 to 250. How long depends on the size of the bird. Usually, if the potatoes are done, so is the chicken.
Awe, thank you so much for your quick response. I cannot wait to try because I love having the babies, but not the roos and just need to have a good purpose for them. Last one I did I made dog food since it was too tuff for us to eat, which is great, but since I do all the work, I want some too. =)

What is the trick for tender rooster meat? All mine have been super tuff! I saw one comment that said pressure cooker!
The age you butcher them is very important. If you butcher them before puberty they can be pretty tender but the hormones of puberty toughens the meat as well as adds flavor.

Your cooking method is important. If you fry or grill them they are going to be tough once they pass puberty. I personally would not try to fry or grill a cockerel past 12 weeks of age. What you generally want with an older cockerel is to cook them slow and moist. I like to bake them in a tightly covered pan with some moisture, 250 Fahrenheit is a good temperature. You can stew them never letting the water boil, keep it to a slow simmer. A crock pot set on low can do a good job with them. As mentioned, a pressure cooker can do a great job on them.

Older cockerels and mature roosters make great broth, either in a crock pot or at a slow simmer on top of the stove. Cut the meat into pieces and put it in a crock pot. Add a carrot, celery stalk, a rough-chopped onion (quartered is good), some garlic, and a bay leaf. I add herbs of my choice: basil, oregano, parsley, thyme or maybe chives. Fill with water. I cook that on low in a crock pot overnight, at least 12 hours and sometimes 24 hours. Strain it to get the chunks out and de-fat it. Excellent broth. I also pick the meat and use that for chicken soup, tacos, or chicken casserole. I use the picked meat on sandwiches for my lunch. Some people consider the meat too soft and mushy but I think it is great.

With any chicken you need to age it. The meat you buy has already been aged but you need to let rigor mortis pass in meat you butcher. How fast it passes rigor mortis will depend on age and the temperature when you age it. I keep the meat in ice water for two to three days. If the joint moves freely when you wiggle it rigor has passed. If you do not age it the meat can be inedible when you cook it.

I eat many of my roosters that I run separately as a bachelor flock. They do not fight enough for anyone to get hurt if they are all from the same batch/age. They are best eaten young as others have said. I still cook the old big guys, but they mostly feed the dogs. The stock is good even if the meat is tough. Usually I eat my heirloom dual purpose breeds before 22 or 23 weeks. Some go early similar Cornish game hens. If you get as good as an old time Granny and you can kill, clean and get them cooking in less than 15 minutes you can skip the two or thee days of chill aging for the rigor mortis! I can't do it.

Back
Top Bottom