Raising Squab, old fashioned style?

Quote:
It depends. young unmated hens might stay if they are wooed by an unmated male. However, male feral pigeons tend to try to take the hen back to their roost. I fly thief pouters so trying to catch feral pigeons is my game lol. As a matter of fact, my Canadian friend was working with brunner pouter crossed with feral and homers. He was going to keep a large kit of males and fly them in hopes they would raid the feral pigeons and bring home hens.

Thieves?! That is fascinating! Shows you how little I know about pigeons. You use pouters to lure hens back to your lofts?

Why? Certainly not for the same reason I would be tapping some. Is this what pouters are for? That is a very interesting thing to breed for.

I was looking at it for stocking reasons, and for learning about pigeons. I could get a fair amount of experience without spending a bunch of money on breeders. Be they wild or bought, I was planning on keeping them confined in the loft and aviary. I would breed the wild ones and only let the offspring fly.

Matt, What part of Canada does your friend live in?

Quote:
Well It has been a few years since he stopped communicating via internet, so I forgot.
Pouters from Spain, Holland, Scotland, Cuba and Miami have been and are used to catch your neighboors pouter. In places where you have no pigeon neighboors you try to catch ferals. Spanish pouter breeds and crosses and Scottish horseman are what you will come across the most. Put a pouter alone in a box for a few weeks and he will be a crazy ladies man!

Matt,

That is fantastic! Very interesting. How long has this been done? Was this a competitive kind of thing? I could see this being the reason for banding. LOL

It has been done for decades. You dont band them becuase if someone catches your bird it becomes theirs. Its a game. Most seductive wins. Let me try to find you some links....

Here are a couple of update pictures.

6945_chicken_coop_66.jpg
6945_chicken_coop_loft_66.jpg

First is the outside. You can see the addition of a basic landing board. I'm unsure of what size and shape this should be, so here it is flat and 5'x1'. The second entrance into the loft is much smaller and higher up. The windows would be covered with wire mesh.

The second allows a view into the loft. On the left are perches mounted to the angled ceiling. On the right are some basic widowboxes. There is enough space to include a storage chest/compartment. What else should I be including or planning for? A separate loft will be needed in the future of course.

If I actually were to become serious about raising and breeding I would then building something far more involved and dedicated.

This is one of things I would like to do as well ..
smile.png
... So think you for asking about squab so I did not have to . But it looks like there are allot of us thinking along the same lines ..
wink.png
.... To all the ones that helped here... Thank you ....
cool.png
....I look forward to reading more about this

Back
Top Bottom