Raising Wood Ducks Indoors and I have Questions?

jgell

Chirping
10 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Avondale
I sold my pool table and built a pond in my basement. I added Wood Ducks (Split White Male and White Female) to the mix in early October. The enclosure is 9'x11' with metal halide grow lights, live plants, turtles, goldfish and a hermit crab. They have become quite used to me and don't run like crazy when I enter the room and have learned to associate me with food. I was wondering if they are going to be missing any environmental cues by not being outside? I have read that domestic breeds slow down egg production when there is less light. Do these wood ducks need a season of longer nights followed by a season of increasing daylight to trigger breeding? I am reluctant to mimic the outside sunset and sunrise because that will send my turtles into hibernation without the cold to slow down their matabolisim and they will burn up their energy reserve very quickly. Could the absense of a winter season also slow down the drakes plumage change? When I got him in October he had his red bill and white beard. Two and a half months later and his eyes still aren't red, his face color hasn't completely filled in and he is just getting started on his vertical and horizontal whtie stripes on his sides. This just seems slower than the ones I have kept outside. This is also my first split white wood duck, could that be a factor?

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any thoughts you have on this and/or any advice you have about raising ducks indoors.

Yes light will effect your birds in everyway you mentioned. It does'nt matter that its a split or whatever duck,domestic or wild type. Since you are using grow lights Im thinking they are getting the vitamin D they would get from natural sunlight. It should'nt send your turtles into hibernation if you mimic the light outside as long as its warm in your basement.

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere that the change in amount of daylight is a trigger for turtle hibernation. I remember thinking if that's true then wouldn't light wake them up too. If that were the case then how would they know that days are getting longer if they are hibernating. Do you know much about turtle hibernation? I don't but I know I want to avoid it.

pekinduck<3er :

hmm i dont know but could u maybe post a pic of this it would be great to see a work of art like u said!! would be great

Today is my first day on BYC. I will try to figure out how to post some pictures.​

Look up at the top of the screen where it says uploads, click the link and find where it says browse, find your picture on your computer and click upload, then whenever it is done and displays the picture copy the img link and paste it onto your a new post.

Destin would you take a look at the migratory thread, i have a question that needs answered so i can pm a guy back.

Last edited:
i would love to see the enclosure for sure wish to see!
fl.gif

Thanks for the help. There are several of the pond today and one from when I first built it last summer. Also included some pics of the inhabitants. As you can see the enclosure isn't fully enclosed. The ducks could roam the entire basement but I have only found evidence (poop) of them doing so just once in our two months together. You can also see I installed a network camera so I can watch them from work.

74389_24dec3.jpg

74389_24dec2.jpg

74389_24dec1.jpg

74389_ducksandfish.jpg

74389_ducks.jpg

74389_turtle.jpg

74389_august2009.jpg

Thanks, it's still a work in progress. I use a panasonic BL-C230. My nieces like to watch from Florida too. Actually one of the koi belongs to my youngest niece.

Back
Top Bottom