Raising Wood Ducks

Here is a baby Wood Duck

Kewl, California Ducken, are the woodies eating for you? Have the mallards helped? I had a thought that I thought I would throw out to the more experienced wood duck people on here. When I had the older ones that were already eating, maybe 4-5 days old when orphaned, they did just fine, and even got pretty tame before I released them. But, I did not have the fight to get them started that I had with the little newly hatched one. I had no luck getting it to eat so I put it in with a baby injured gosling, and the two bonded immediately. I was in hopes the gosling could teach it how to eat. It did follow the gosling around and would sit in the food dish while it ate, or play in the water while it dabbled, but not really seriously consume anything much that I could tell. Then too, I think it was an absolute new hatch when I got it, it still had some yolk on its belly so it may not have been really ready to eat right away. As carefully as I watched, I did not really see it eating any real food, although it dabbled in the water where the feed was floating so I wasn't sure if it actually got any. They had the wild gamebird starter that is recommended for ducklings, unmedicated, also fresh grass (mine, with no chemicals on it) and chopped greens, same stuff I raised the other woods on successfully, but those as I said were already eating when they came. I had a flat feeder that would seem more natural with a light background so that the contrast would make it easier, and tried floating some on the water too. I did see it drinking, and nibbling at the greens, but that's it. Still, it seemed to be happy and busy so I wasn't too worried. He was just fine, toddling around following its 'big brother,' little Mutt and Jeff, they were so darn cute, and he made it for several days. But, just about the time I thought it was out of the woods, I got up the next morning and I had lost it.
idunno.gif
The little gosling was very sad too, he peeped and sat where the little one had died (cuddled under its wing while they slept) and would not leave until the next day. It was very tragic, and I have kicked myself trying to figure out what else I could have done.

I wonder a couple of things, because after raising the group a couple years ago, and now this one, I am developing kind of a soft spot for them, and thinking I'd like to try my hand at raising them. Maybe I'm just stubborn. I'm usually good with injured birds, in fact I've worked with a wildlife rehab person here so this was really a come down for me. I've looked into the legalities locally, and I've already been told I could get a rehab license easily with my experience and my friend's assistance, but I know that is also a different license than the one to raise them. Still trying to find out what all the rules are so I can get one. But before I do, I'd like to know a couple of things from others who have done so. I'd hate to get into it and lose more of them. It's heartbreaking, the little guys are just too cute.

When you raise your woodies, do you generally order eggs and hatch them? If so, does this help somewhat with the nervousness, since you are the first thing they see? If not, and you are raising them in pairs and letting the mothers raise them, are the mothers usually pretty good at getting them started eating and such? I've heard on this thread and elsewhere that raising the babies with mallards can be good or bad because the mallards are sometimes aggressive and pushy, and the little woods don't step up to eat. But, I raise calls here... what about planning the hatch where they would be pipping a day or so after some call babies, and letting the calls show them the ropes, how to eat, etc? Those are generally not mean or pushy, and they would be tiny too like the woods. I've had GREAT success with my baby calls. What do you guys think?

I am also in the process of designing a special waterfowl coop that is half coop, half ornamental garden. Found some good ideas here and elsewhere, hoping to incorporate some of those ideas that will work with my terrain. I am wondering if moving water is better, or more of a hassle? I'd love to have a fountain and edible plants, to make kind of a sanctuary for the birds that looks more natural and is fun to watch them play in. Thinking about 20x30, the size of my front flower garden, and putting it in a fairly shady spot due to our awful summers. Is that too big for 2-3 pair, would they get lost in there, or is it too small? Any thoughts or remarks appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi! I put the woodies in with the tiniest of Mallards. I watch like a hawk for aggression. I grind up my duck starter into micro crumble and powder. And they love it that way (for me) and put regular crumble in a shallow reptile dish with water for them to sift around in. I get all of my birds ( waterfowl, song birds and just finished hawks a few weeks ago ) through an organization that I volunteer for that is licensed through Calif. Fish and Wildlife. Many come in singly and love to be with friends of their own size and species. You have the social aspect with the ducks that really helps them settle in. Mallards are major preeners and will preen each other when they have water on them. The Woodies I've raised don't like to be bothered like that. I have ordered small (Just above pinhead size) crickets. Because the last time I did a shake and bake method with calcium on the crickets they loooves them and it added a few extra nutrients. (I didn't "bake" them, I just use that term when I powder coat my bugs) I only use them as a treat occasionally. Like every other day and make sure each one only gets one. The comic relief is great :) it is a late duck hatching season here in the Central Valley. The geese came first this year which is unusual. I'm sorry that I can't help you with the breeding aspect. I will try and find the number of a guy named Bob Jungman who is a Wood Duck breeder and has been for years. He absolutely loooves his Wood Ducks and bands them. Call ducks? My only experience with a call duck was when a rural police department called me up because they confiscated this guys collection and they only could catch one. They told me it was a mallard and when I went to pick it up..... It was a stark white call duck! Surprise! Lol Zhe ended up flying off :-( to the Ponding basin across the street. I will post more later its getting late here. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

No, that is helpful. Always good to get other ideas from other raisers/producers. I have Snowy and White Calls here, and this is my very first year for geese. I've raised the Calls for several years, and though I have had a few mallards, here and there, they do seem to be a bit 'pushier' as ducklings than the Calls, maybe it's the size differential. I don't have any large ducks any longer, I used to have Swedes though. I am always willing to learn new strategies!
I have a friend that does rehab stuff, she has been after me to get a rehab license for a long time. She and I and her vet (who is the 'go to' guy for exotics and most wild animals in this area, as well as the zoo vet) are all friends, and I've helped her with everything from feeding a blind owl to trimming claws on kestrels LOL. But poultry are where my heart is, rather than the raptors and such. Love my chickens and ducks! And now my geese.

A friend brought us a very young baby wood duck found in a neighbors yard. They searched for more with no luck. She planned to take it to the park pond but was convinced it had no chance of survival because it is so tiny so they brought it to us knowing we have been brought quite a few rescue ducklings. Bless its heart it wanted to stay nestled in my hand as I prepared its brooder box with the heater, moistened non medicated chick starter, chick grit & water. With a bit of encouragement with moistened food on my finger & a couple of gentle bill dunks in his water, he was eating/drinking well on its own. I was unable to locate any other day old ducklings in our area, I found 7 day old khaki campbells & rouens at Tractor Supply in Jonesboro. They held them for me til the next day/Thursday since I had an appointment. Altho they are bit larger, Charlie/named for his rescuer is right in their midst eating, drinking & sleeping with them snuggled up around him. How I wish I could find at least one more little wood duck for Charlie! I am totally open to your suggedtions! Thanks!

Ive raised lots of woodies that I hatched in an incubator! To get them to eat i put live crickets in their brooder that i buy from a local pet store or bait shop. They go crazy hunting them! Then i put crumbled egg yolk on top of their mazuri waterfowl starter and hadnt lost one since! The crickets are the key to getting them eating!

Thank you for your reply. Little Charlie is eating & drinking in fine fashion. My concern is whether I need to have just the 2 smaller ducklings with him in the brooder box with the Brinsea heater placing the 5 young but larger ducklings in a separate brooder. He is so tiny in comparison but sleeps nestled right in the middle of them. I just wish they could have found a second wood duck duckling so he could have his own breed/size companion.

Back
Top Bottom