raising young roos with older hens

chickenshiha

Songster
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
palestine
2 days ago I got 3 chicks from a friend 2 hens 1 roo and I also have 2 pullets about 5 or 6 months old the chicks are 1-1 and a half months old I cant get another rooster (stuff I cant do) until he gets older can he mate with the older hens? hes top of the pecking order after the older hens what you guys think will it workout well

also the chicks think 1 of the pullets are their mom sleep with her follow her and eat with her really funny but sweet of her caring for them

Last edited:
no I didn't because I don't know what it is even after reading the link still not sure what it is but I think it is to see how the birds are for illness or something like that why should I do that my birds are healthy nothing wrong with them

That's the point. Your birds are healthy. You don't want to infect them with something from other birds. New birds can look healthy but harbor some malady that hasn't run its course yet to exhibit symptoms.

Quarantine comes from the Italian phrase quarantina giorni meaning 40 days. That's how long you should observe birds before you put them in close contact with your own. During that time watch for any signs of illness but also lice/mites and treat accordingly before you end up having to treat your whole flock and disinfect your building.
This quarantine housing should be as far from your flock as possible. Some aerosol diseases can travel 1200 meters or more through the air.

I checked for lice and mites before getting them and took them to the local vet and she said there nice and healthy so are my older pullets she said to give them acv and garlic (witch I have been doing) I guess nothing to worry about just need to know if its good for a young roo to be with older hens

It is OK for the last question.
They may pick on him at first but eventually he'll assume his role as king of the coop.

Birds can appear healthy, even to the keen eye of a vet. Yet have contracted something that hasn't manifested itself yet. Hence the need for quarantine.

I could have a flock full of mite infested birds. Then I treat them to kill the current infestation and sell them to you. You look at them and deem them clean. Then the eggs hatch and they're re-infested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom