Rambling rant-how do you survive parenthood to a teenager?

Quote:
I love this saying too. I have a 13 and 7 year old daughters. And there are days I truly understand this saying.

I really don't have any 'strong advise' for the OP. I understand what you are going through in a way though. As I was a bit like your son in school.
My parents both worked 2nd shift jobs when we were in school. I would get on the bus(or get rides with friends when old enough to drive). We headed to school. Bus dropped us off, when to maybe 1st and 2nd hour, then skipped until lunch when the 'short' bus would allow us to get on the bus and take us home. We would be home minutes after my parents left for work. If my friends would drive us in, we would head to school, hear a song on the radio or have a cigarette and decided to finish either before heading to school. Next thing you knew it was 9:30. We would head into school, go to maybe 1 or 2 classes, skip the rest of the day and go home or drive around. I was still a very good student. On the honor roll jr. and sr. years. Attendance never showed absent IF I made it to the 1st hour where they took the daily attendance to be turned into the office. On an average week I would actually go maybe 1 FULL day of school. My parents never found out. We were able to get the mail before they were because of there work schedules. Cell phones weren't around. Phone calls never really got any. Our school would also accept letters written by the kids, but the parents had to sign those. Well you would be surprised how easy it is to master a parents signature when you want to. I always went to school on test days. Was always present for the 'important' things that were going on. Never got suspended, detention, etc. etc. for skipping, because I never got caught. And like I said I was on the honor roll (A honor roll) during all this.
It wasn't until after I got outta school I told my parents what I was doing. And it was only cuz my younger sisters (who are twins) were starting to have issues. And I didn't want them doing what I did--yet they never knew what I was doing until after I told them. There were soooo many things I did that now I feel if my kids do a 1/4 of it, I am in for a roller coaster of parenthood. My husband was no angel either. He did pretty much the same stuff-just on different levels (no we didn't go to school together).
Again...really I don't have to much help for your situation, I just wanted to share I guess....

Best of luck
Shawna

thumbsup.gif
:thumbsup
GUMPSGIRL !! .....SO TRUE....Parents of teenagers know why animals eat their young !!!....

I am going to tell my son that one....next time his head turns around on his shoulders and he spits pea soup !!!

and I have two years until my daughters hormones REALLY start to kick in ! I am going to need a rubber room.....

Its so true that you love them to death and you love it that there getting older and that you can have a conversation with them ...on a good day...when they actually think your not stupid....but its their MOUTH!!! .......oh VIE!!!

Last edited:
My son started this behavior his 10th grade year in school. Was moody, withdrawn, anti-social. I was to lenient due to the fact that I was being mom and dad and felt I was making up for something (his dad being a loser) He took advantage of that as he got older. I got depressed, my husband was working nights and here I was stuck with this defient brat at home. I withdrew into my own little shell. He turned 17 and decided he wanted to move out. I let him go, for my sanity and my homes sanity. He moved in with my best friend and her husband. I didn't allow him to take his phone, car, comp. anything. He lasted about 6 months. I had taken him to the doc while he lived with her and he was put on mild anti depressants. He doesn't take them anymore. His senior year he transferred to another school. He's 19 now, works 2 jobs, and is respectful, pays rent.

I don't know wether the 6 month break was for me or him but I had to climb out of the barrel and get an attitude that I wasn't going to be treated like that ever again and he now knows that. I will be treated with respect and you will do as I ask or you will find a new place to live. Simple as that.

It does get better but I agree you need to obtain some help, for yourself and for your son.

WriterofWords Why does your son have a problem with women? Are you abused at home? Does your husband or anyone else treat you badly in front of your son and has he been raised like this by a member of his family? If he won't do a thing you say, that has been allowed to happen. It's really easy to say "what can I do???" Well, what should you have been doing all along to prevent the laziness, the anger issues, the issue with women?

I am not abused at home. I was, for 14 years. I divorced him, he died of a drug overdose seven months after my divorce. My son saw disrespect and disfunction and physical abuse toward me, until he was seven years old. I will always remember my son arguing with my husband when he was about three or four- my husband called me a ' female dog', and my son said, "she is NOT a 'female dog', and he said, "Oh yes she is! etc etc." It took years and almost dying and the kindness of some anonymous someone online, who paid for my divorce- before I found the strength and courage within myself to file for divorce. My dog is the only reason we didn't go to a homeless shelter- they wouldnt let her come, and she was my best friend. However, we survived and I am thankful that my husband (number 2) came along when he did. My kids and I struggled and darn near sunk for a year until we moved in here. I put my son in counseling to deal with his anger, and to deal with the grief of his dad dying- he quit going when he was too big for me to throw over my shoulder and put in the van. He didn't want to go, never wanted to go, and grew bigger.

I am only disclosing the above, because I feel that I am at a point where I really do not know how to proceed with my kid. And those are important facts. And hopefully, someone may see themselves in what I say- and run for the hills.
smile.png

You have a huge a chunk of responsibility here you are going to have to chew carefully before you swallow it. The school by law can press charges against you for not having your child in school and being home alone all day as a minor.

I know that. However, I have been involved, and I have dropped him off at the school every single day and watched him walk into the building. I have talked to a school counselor. I would question at what point is the school responsible for my son? When my son was hit by a car in the ninth grade, walking home from school, I was told by the police officer, that the school was responsible for my son until he entered my house after school -and that I could press charges against them. I declined, because it was my kids fault that he got hit by a car. He is the one who chose to not get on the bus, to walk home, and to run out in front of the car. That said, I have told my son that I could go to jail because of him skipping. I also tried to find a truancy officer to talk to him, but because of budget cuts- we do not have one.

I've raised him as a single parent and good many of his years I homeschooled him. It's hard, and you have to do it yourself, you can't hire someone to homeschool unless the laws in your state are different. I was qualified to obviously. But if he won't listen to you, he won't listen to your neighbor anyway.

I was not aware that I couldn't hire someone to homeschool. That changes my plans. As for listening- he would. The teachers tell me that I have a very polite kid, and his friends parents' all love him- say he is funny, caring, polite, etc. I always say,"My kid?" "REALLY?" Apparently, it is me that he hates.

Is there a possibility he's become involved in drugs or alcohol being the popular football player and he doesn't know how to get himself out of it? Talk to your district about enrolling him in another high school or better yet the alternative high school or educational setting for your district. Your son may be involved in something he doesn't know how to handle is using avoidance to stay away from it. If he has been threatened or bullied that will be harder to get out him.

The first thing I would love to say is, "No. Never. Not my kid." That said, the truth is- there is always the possibility that a kid is involved with drugs, alcohol, etc. I am not one who will say' Not my kid.' He has never come home drunk where I would notice. He has flipped out on me a couple times where I DID say, "What are you on?" "How can you not be on something when you are acting like this? All I did was tell you to....ie; take out the trash, put away the dishes, etc. something similar". In case this is indeed the issue, I will be the very first here to admit- I have absolutely no idea how to proceed, or how to even find out. Or what I would do if I did find out.

One more thing I want to readdress is this what you said:

If he won't do a thing you say, that has been allowed to happen. It's really easy to say "what can I do???" Well, what should you have been doing all along to prevent the laziness, the anger issues, the issue with women?

I admit, freely, that I have been a pretty easy going mom. I felt guilty that my kids dad was dead, and that I had to work full time,two jobs at one point, and that they are crammed into a very small house- and for a couple years, until my oldest stepdaughters moved out- they all had to share one room- and that my husband now is very loud, and very strict- so I somehow, screwed it all up. I hate the struggle it is to get my son to participate, to help out- easier to not ask him to. The fits he would/will throw when asked to do his share, were just not worth the grief. I bought them what I could, indulged them out of guilt. Let things slide- etc etc etc. Ran as a buffer between their strict step-father, and them. In my effort to be a great parent, and to try and make up for what they had gone through, I guess I thoroughly managed to screw it all up.
I myself, think I suffer from depression- however, my husband now doesn't believe it is a real disease, so it doesnt matter if I am, or not. My doctor wouldnt prescribe anything for me, either, because he says, "You dont have the right personality for meds." whatever that means.

Pretty much, there is all the dirty laundry- for everyone to see. I have done the best I could, it was just all the wrong stuff. I just don't know how to fix it now.

Last edited:
Quote:
I can see it now.........."the1Much school for wayward teens" Much better than boot camp! You do have a woodshed don't you?

Honestly, in our district, if I have not called the school to tell them my daughter is sick by 8:40 they are calling ME, ON THAT DAY not 3 days later! Sometimes, I forget to call them with being busy with the sick one. They keep things in check.

Send him to summer school and don't pay them a dime, this is their error in not notifying you of the issue. You should not have to walk behind your child at school. Their job is to take attendance and TEACH your child, if an issue is occuring, they need to notify you IMMEDIATELY! I agree with MissPrissy, ship him off to bootcamp or the1Much's house! He needs an attitude adjustment real quick or you are going to be bailing him out of county jail.

My brother was just like him and he told us(not mom) he was bored with school(this is the same brother that NOW has 3 patents when he worked for IBM on computer stuff....brilliant!!!) he was not challenged enough in school and got bored and figured...just like your son....what's the point. I believe the words he used at one time to my mom was "I know more than the teacher does mom, why should I go?" And the sad thing is HE DID know more!!! Might check into that and see what the underlying issue is here. You are only seeing symptoms of what the true issue is. ASK HIM. Don't yell at him, just ask him if he is bored in school or what he is interested in.

In response to the others that say you caused this behaviour, maybe they are right but that is not what you are asking here, you cannot go back 14 years and start again, you have to start here and now and get a handle on it. Blaming and pointing fingers does not do anyone any good. You both need help to get this on track. Keep that in mind! (I'm off my soapbox now!)
hmm.png
Good luck to you both!

Last edited by a moderator:
hugs.gif
Mom - hang in there... they dont come with instruction manuals, even though we'd like for them to
roll.png
and life is a lesson for learning - with mistakes to be made because thats how we grow as individuals.

Sounds like your son has resentment issues about his father's death and not having a father figure around. It also sounds like you're holding onto the guilt of that mans death - you didn't cause it - you didnt hold a gun to his head and force drugs into his body - that was a choice HE made and it was HIS alone.

Stop beating yourself up for things in the past - you cant change the past - you have to look to the future - the here and now - what matters this moment, today.

Family counseling sounds in order at the very minimum - if your son refuses to go - then YOU go to learn how to deal with the issues at hand with your son and yourself, and any other members of your family. Its never too late to start correcting the issues with past parenting errors - your son may be acting out from LACK of authority - many kids do. They deem it as "hell - why should I care - my mom/dad dont care what I do, where I go, who I'm with - they dont love me because if they DID care - they'd ground me to hell and back like Jimmy/Janes parents do."

You'd be shocked at how MANY kids feel that way...

You also say your son has issues with women, and has alot of girlfriends? Just because your son was "younger" when your abuse was occurring doesnt mean it still doesnt affect him. It affects kids for life....and plays an intregal role in how they view things. If you are so lax on your son and he doesnt respect YOU - then...he will not respect any other woman in his life either. You need to ensure that doesnt happen and women do not become "things to be discarded". He needs a positive role model in his life - a man and a woman - that can show and teach him that together men and women respect and value one another.

Counseling my dear... and prayers - hang in there.... but talk talk talk and do NOT keep blaming yourself for things OTHERS did.

Bravo for getting out of an abusive relationship as well - now its time to ensure that your son never enters into that stage or thought process.....

Last edited:
Both parties now have to take responsibility for their share and work on it. When it comes to counseling a 15 year old boy cannot say no, you can have him delivered to the counseling session by patrol car. I wouldn't suggest that, it would cause hard feelings for awhile, possible irreparable breach of trust also.
I'm so sorry you are going through this and none of us can give you a magic solution for it.
Someone suggested I blamed you for what happened but that is not the case. Yes you are responsible for him being in school, that is what I said. Did I say you have to take responsibility as his parent, yes I did. Would I say it again, yes I would.

You wouldn't suggest it, yet you do not offer a suggestion on how you would get him to counseling. I dont know how to get a six foot, 200 pound young man to counseling- when he refuses to go.

Yes you are responsible for him being in school, that is what I said. Did I say you have to take responsibility as his parent, yes I did. Would I say it again, yes I would

Again, you aren't offering any suggestion as to HOW to do this. I have taken responsibility. However, me being responsible does not offer a way to assure he actually gets up, gets ready, goes into class and stays there every day. Unfortunately, i ,financially, must go to work.

I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me- however. It is nice to talk to people who are educated and understand that there is a problem here. my husband is no help. I cant talk to him about this, not logically. He is not logical- he is an old farm boy who thinks he can overcome anything if he is loud enough and threatening enough. It doesn't work that way in the real world. And if I told my husband how my son spoke to me, my husband would physically kick his behind. Now, what would that solve?

My son is outside walking around right now in sub-zero temperatures not dressed appropriately, because i told him to gather up his dirty clothes and clean his room. We had a huge argument because he didnt tell me it was a half-day of school and I wasn't able to immediately pick him up from school. It took me twenty minutes to finish what I was doing, and he says he has frostbite. (remember the shorts he wore?)
It turned ugly, and he called me every cuss word he could think of, screamed it actually- while standing in front of my house and teh neighbors house. I went into the house, and once he came in, I threatened to call the police, and he flipped out- I changed tactics and told him I needed to take him to the hospital to treat his frostbit feet- my goal was to actually get him to the hospital, and tell them to test him for drugs- if positive, to put him either in their drug rehab or their psych eval. program. However, he refused to go. I gave him about a half hour to calm down- and I told him to gather up his dirty clothes, and clean his room. he said he wasn't talking to me. I said, " You owe me an apology for what you called me, and the way you talked to me. You will not talk disrespectful to me. You will pick up your dirty clothes and you will clean your room." He put on his jacket and walked out the door. I said, "Where do you think you are going,Ryan?" And he said- "Im not talking to you." and he left.

So that is my situation- and for everyone reading this- go grab your kids and give them a hug and thank the stars above that you have not screwed up so badly that you are in the situation I am in right now.
I can't deal with it- don't know how, and I have no idea what to do to make it right.

edit to add:

I just looked out the door, and down the street- because he IS my son, and because it is dangerously cold outside. He is laying down in the back seat of my van, under an afghan I keep in there. I can see him from the front door. I am choosing to leave him out there. Stupid boy. However, I cannot let his "fill in the blank" keep him out there and have him suffer hypothermia. I wish I knew how to proceed with this. However, I don't know how.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom