Ramp/Ladder from Run to Hen house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 3sacrowd, Jun 7, 2011.

1. 3sacrowd

3sacrowd Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Hi - Our coop is almost finished and we have some questions about the ramp/ladder from the run into the coop. We purchased the Garden Coop plans and are loving the whole coop design, etc.

My husband is thinking that the ramp in the plans is too steep. How steep is too steep and how can you tell?

Here's the most current pic of the progress - although the run is finished and the ladies go outside during the day. They are so happy in there!

[​IMG]

Thanks!

Kandi

2. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    that coop looks really good

like the green color, a lot!

is that a ladder that i see in the picture now? have they tried it out?

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Very cool color. It is difficult to see the steepness of the ramp. They can get up pretty steep steps and ramps if there is adaquate posting along the way and traction. I personally like to make it as easy as possible on them and extended my ramp a lot longer than I had planned to help them out.

4. Wileyps1

Wileyps1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Pennsdale, PA
    my steps were fairly steep at first and the girls were haveing problems using them, so i shortned them a bit and built a box and attached a seperate set of steps to that. That helped greatly.

[​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a ladder made out of 1 1/2" diameter saplings set at a 45deg angle to help my young birds to roost. I think you could use it for a entrance access plus it's natural and free and they can perch outside in the sun too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by