Ramp Timer for Incandescent - Gradual On/Off Fade

Leahs Mom

Free Ranging
8 Years
Feb 9, 2012
Northern Indiana
I've been trying to find a ramp timer that works with incandescent bulbs and can't seem to find one.

Here is what I want to do:
My lights are currently on a timer that turns them on and off at a specific time. Instead of having the lights come on at full power, I want them to gradually fade on to full in the morning and gradually fade to off at night over a 15 minute or so time period.

This is especially important to me when they turn off for the night so that it gives the chickens the opportunity to get to roost before total darkness.

I have been able to find them for LED lights like this one: https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...Lighting-Current_USA-CU01676-FILTACTM-vi.html

Does anyone know where I can get something similar that works for incandescent lights?

(I wonder if @aart has any thoughts.)

It would be a lot easier to just forget about the evening light and have the lights come on in the morning and use the natural sunset to tell the chickens when it's time to go to bed.

What's wrong with LED lights?

JT

That's what I do right now. I have the lights come on in the morning at a time that we're getting ready for work so that there is light on when we go to tend the birds. For winter, they shut off at about 4p so they have the natural light at bed time.

They are in our barn, and the only window is on the north, so it get's dark pretty early in there. I was thinking in terms of giving them a little longer in the afternoon - say 6 pm or so.

If I can't find a timer that will do that, I'll continue as I always have.

Sorry, I'm low tech, have them come on in the morning and shut off by mid afternoon.
I use a CFL, which comes up to full light kinda slowly...which I 'feel' might be nicer than a glaring full strength light all of a sudden.
I also have gone to not giving them 14 hours until end of December so the hens can molt.

Glad you chimed in @jthornton...was gonna tag you for your programming experience.

@RonP has quite the lighting setup ....but I think he's gone from here.
Look at his articles, I think he documented it.

Thanks!

I don't give "supplemental longer daylight" for winter either. I just like to have the light on when we are out there in the morning before work which is 7 a. And they are off by 3 or 4p so not "supplemental" lighting but just for our convenience in the morning.

I just thought it might be nice to have them on a little later since it gets dark in there due to only having the north window.

I just thought it might be nice to have them on a little later since it gets dark in there due to only having the north window.
Ahhh, I see.
That's why I leave the light until 3-4pm, even tho I have lots of windows in the coop shed-the coop is on the north side of shed, so it's still pretty dim in there during the plethora of cloudy days we have here.
You'll get lots of 'thinking supplemental light' replies here.

Sounds like you do your light like I do mine in the afternoon. Wish I could just figure out a good way to get more natural light inside.

We have a pole barn and they are in the NW corner with one window at the north.

There's a full size sliding door at the west of their area that gets frozen shut in winter. That's the door I slide partway open for them to go in and out, so in winter it doesn't get opened. (They didn't go out on the snow anyway.)

I've always thought it would be an interesting idea to keep that slider all the way open (lots of light) and build a framework (multiple panels) to fit in it (removable) with clear plex full length panels top to bottom. It would have to be predator proof, of course. Also one panel with a pop door so they could go out if they choose.

A lot of work... but it would solve the light issue and also give them the opportunity to go out if they choose.

Back
Top Bottom