Debbie292d

Silkie Mom
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Jul 22, 2021
EC Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
We need a temporary light for a temporary issue. It's a new mini coop in our breeding pen nearly 40' from the house. It's going to be a couple of weeks until hubby can put a window in. It's pretty dark in there even for chickens that know where to go in there. I've been putting camping light in there at dusk, then run out there at night and shut the door and the light off. It's been two days and what a PIA already!

I looked on Amazon for remote puck lights with timers and unfortunately, all I can find reach 15-20 feet. We need it to reach at least 30' if possible. Sure, I could stand out on my deck and do it but gosh, isn't there something that would work that won't cost a fortune? Anyone got an idea?

Here's a few pictures so you see what I mean. Hubby just built it and didn't think to put a window in there but he will eventually. Until then...

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpeg
    IMG_0659.jpeg
    949.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0656.jpeg
    IMG_0656.jpeg
    581.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0703.jpeg
    IMG_0703.jpeg
    469 KB · Views: 7
Hubby now things he can drag a treble light out there and we can unplug it from the garage. I guess that'll have to do. I keep looking on Amazon and just can't find what would work.

I was going to suggest something like a trouble light or another caged bulb set up on either a timer outlet or a smartplug you could control with your phone or an automation. Sounds like yall are mostly there

I was going to suggest something like a trouble light or another caged bulb set up on either a timer outlet or a smartplug you could control with your phone or an automation. Sounds like yall are mostly there
A smart plug controlled by phone is an awesome idea. We have Alexa so could do something like that.

When I suggested something like this to hubby, he went and got a window we took out of the main coop when we put our exhaust fan in there. He's got it in the kitchen now to clean up and said this weekend he'll install it in the outer door. So if nothing else, we inspired him!! He's got so many projects around here so that moved mine up by two weeks at the thought of me spending money. ☺️ In the meantime, I'm alternating a camping lantern and a puck light and bringing whichever in at night to recharge, then put it back in there to run all day as it's just too dark even with the chicken door open.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Back
Top Bottom