Coop Light Suggestion?

piyo

Chirping
Feb 9, 2023
I recently moved my chicks to the outside coop (Eglu Cube). It has only been 2 days, but they still do not know how to go back to the coop before dusk. I have been manually putting them back in the coop. I would like to try putting a light in the coop and hopefully that would help.

I am looking for a TINY solar-powered RED light. Something that will slowly dim automatically on its own so the chicks would get used to sleeping in the darkness. Or should I keep the light on 24/7 for them?

When the chicks were younger, they had the heat lamp which was on 24/7. When they were older, I took out the lamp and they only had the heat plate. The only light they got was the natural daylight from the garage windows. It got pitch black at night and they seemed fine with that gradual transition to darkness. Now that they have moved to their new coop, they are unsure what to do.

Will adult chickens eventually get used to sleeping when the lights go out? My chicks go in a peeping frenzy when I turn the light out. They eventually settle down and sleep after several minutes, but I don’t want them to do this if they happen to not make it back to the coop before dark and their peeping attracts predators.

Any suggestions on tiny solar-powered red lights? I only ask about red because I assume chickens are attracted to the color red so I figured it would make the coop a more desirable place to be at night.

They have strings of solar lights. I have motion solar lights.
Tons to choose from on Amazon and elsewhere.

Yes they use the ramp just fine. Thet go in and out of the coop no problem while it’s daylight, but once it starts getting dark they don’t know to return to the coop.
Are there any windows in the coop? How large is it and how many birds do you have?
Poorly lit coops are notorious for birds being reluctant to enter at roost time because they don't see well in the dark/dim light. Coops designed with lots of windows to allow in lots of light work very well.

Are there any windows in the coop? How large is it and how many birds do you have?
Poorly lit coops are notorious for birds being reluctant to enter at roost time because they don't see well in the dark/dim light. Coops designed with lots of windows to allow in lots of light work very well.
There are no windows, but I have an autodoor, so when it opens then it is very bright inside. There are some vents in the back that let in a little light. I have 5 chicks.

Thank you for this! I’m having the same issue. Our chicks are 6 weeks old on Monday & my husband wants them out of the house, asap!
They’re totally fine during the day. But as soon as it gets dark, they huddle in the run, closest to the house. They don’t know to roost yet. They just beg to be taken inside as soon as it gets dark. It breaks my heart!
And I also worry about it attracting predators.
We’re working with them during the day to get them to know they can fly up to the roosts. And we’re doing a couple things to make it easier for them. They’re physically able. They just don’t know to do it yet, at night. They just rely on us taking them inside every night.
As soon as I put the cage down at the coop door & open the cage door, they eagerly pile in. They know they’re going someplace that feels safe to them.
I’m not sure how to make them feel comfortable in the coop at night… and my husband is all about tough love… just letting them cry it out. I really don’t want to do it that way, but I’m seeing it might need to be for them to overcome the fear. 😕

Back
Top Bottom