Ramp training 101?

I like the PVC pipe for feeding my chickens. They are on the outside of the run with the bottom openings through the fencing and inside the run. I fill it from outside and replace the cap. At night when my chickens are in, I cap the opening inside to keep the mice etc. out of the feed in the tube. There's a small roof over the feeding station so the feed doesn't get wet in inclement weather.

This sounds fantastic, I’ve been thinking of doing this for both food and water so I dont have to enter the run to refill. Do you mind sending/posting a pic of it? Thanks!

Sorry forgot to put in my 2 cents on ramp training. I get them used to the run first as 4-5 week old chicks in a “mini-coop” so they can learn the run, and at night I put them in the coop. After a week or so of this i keep them in the coop day and night; but during the day they are in a mini coop and in view of the pop door that the older hens are going in and out of. A week in the coop and they will now know both settings, as well as the entrance/connection.

Most of the time they will have learned the ramp by watching the older hens, and getting out is not a big deal. Getting back up requires a little bit of training but seems to be lot easier, and with some coaxing (i.e placement halfway up at dusk) and watching their mates go up, they will learn to go home quickly. Hope this helps

Wow, the things I haven't thought of !!! Because we have black bears I always bring the bird feeders inside at night. It makes perfect sense to bring the chicken feeders in at night too (slap forehead here). I expect I'll move the food outside once the run is finished and have water both places.

My chickens are very close. I would try to place one on the ramp and long story short help the others into it and continue the process. Maybe give them a little tap to help them into/out of an area.

Just a little update on the progress of the ramp training of my 8 week old chicks. It took them 3 days to get up the courage to leave the chicken coop and walk down the 3 foot tall ramp. But on day 3, all 10 chicks made it outside into the chicken run.

The first evening I had to pickup up about 6 chicks, place them on the ramp facing the pop door, and coax them up the ramp and back into the coop. The second night, all 10 chicks made it back into the coop on their own. When I look back at the first evening, I think maybe I encouraged them back into the coop before they were ready. On each night since then, they go in on their own but not until the sun starts setting. So I just wait a little longer and when I see all the birds are in the coop and no longer in the chicken run, I then go outside and shut the pop door for the night.

In many ways, the ramp training applied to myself as much, or more, than to my chicks. In the end, it has been very successful and I want to thank you all for the comments and suggestions.

In many ways, the ramp training applied to myself as much, or more, than to my chicks.
:lol: So True....we keepers need to learn about chicken behaviors before we can 'manipulate' them.

Your/their timeline sounds pretty typical and maybe better than average.
It's always a relief when chicks make it back into the coop on their own at night.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their info. I'm starting ramp training tomorrow when it'll be a bit cooler outside, so I feel like I have good help from all of you to help my chickens be successful (me too !!!)

Some breeds pick it up faster than others - I have a coop that's floor is at my waist and there's a ramp inside for getting to the perches too. It took my Silkie about two weeks of me moving her to roost every night before she figured out the 'up' part on her own. The shavers had long since gotten used to it. I was even plotting an accessibility 'porch' for her.
- now, you should see how quickly she can scramble up those ramps when she thinks there's an egg up there that needs warming...

Back
Top Bottom